More bad news for older cars

I am not for a moment saying that German cities are the natural environment for landies, but who knows with the spread of these zones all over the place
I might find myself needing to drive through one, one of these days.
I guess it is mainly diesels they are gunning for, but I wonder what chance an old petrol engined series has of meeting there requirments.
I guess the answer if that ever comes to a town near me would have to be an LPG conversion.
--
Larry

Series 3 Rust and Holes

Not really. because an LPG conversion doesn't reduce CO2 emissions. What it does do is give a significantly cleaner emission because of virtually zero CO emission and no nitrous oxide, no sulphur content and reduced unburnt hydrocarbons.
--
hugh
I had the impression it was particulates and unburnt hydrocarbons they were concerned with not CO2

Series 3 Rust and Holes

There was a bit in Practical Classics that stated that following lobbying, cars over 30 years old are exempt.
So, with an old Landy you'll be ok!
Cheers
Peter
"Larry" wrote ...

Seems to be Diesel vehicles they are gunning for this time, the particulates are a nasty pollutant that have been mostly overlooked. Some believe they have a significant role in the rise in Asthma cases. Petrol engines also produce particulates but not so much and of a different, less harmful, size. But, why does every Government refuse to do anything about Aeroplanes, especially short haul flights which cause so much pollution and high up in the atmosphere where it really hurts. Rail and even car travel is significantly better, pollution wise.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I wondered why the pollution hurts higher up, and saw an article a little while ago that mentioned it's because the air up where the planes fly tends to stay there, so the pollution from planes stays up in a narrow band trapped by the layering effect of the atmosphere, so it's confined to a much smaller body of air. I think what we need is a whopping great big ceiling fan!
Someone also said a while ago that planes produce less pollutant per passenger mile than cars, which is true to an extent, but when you hop on a plane you can often do more miles in one short trip than you do in a car for a whole year, so there's a concern about the miles travelled and the resulting damage rather than planes being dirtier. Plus of course the pollution stays up in the narrow stratosphere.

Bob Hobden wrote:

Except that if all those people that were going to travel by air now have to use the roads (because our so-called public transport system is useless) then we have even bigger traffic jams and increased pollution. You don't get traffic jams at 30,000 feet :-)
Road and rail pollution is only better if traffic/trains can move freely. Once vehicles become part of a jam then the balance moves the other way.
--
Regards

Steve G

Only in the airports. The last two times I've flown to Aberdeen I could have done the journey far faster by car, due to delays in taking off. And the reason I didn't drive was to get there quicker for a short visit. The drive takes most of the day.
--
*60-year-old, one owner - needs parts, make offer

thusly:

Unless, of course, they decide not to travel so much.
It's not written in stone that you have to fly half-way round the world to go on holiday.

Er, you're not going to recommend Wales are you?
--
hugh
I can see them putting a toll on certain popular roads in Snowdonia.

Series 3 Rust and Holes
"Larry" wrote

Not true, from my experience of sitting in jams behind buses etc, public service vehicles are exempt from all forms of pollution control. Cough, cough...
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Not in Ken's LEZ, everything, ambulances, fire engines, busses, they're even named explicity on the website as being hit by the charge. If the claims of particle pollutants are true then it's probably a good scheme (and not really Ken's idea, there are EU regulations coming into force that set maximum limits on particle pollutants in the atmosphere and London is way above the limits) but marred by the over-zealous fines and procedures.

Tell me about it. St John Ambulance have to set up a project to put 'green' engins in all it's vehicles. Just what a volunteer organisation needs!

Sure but the reason for the LEZ and the EU regulations that sparked it was because of the heightened risk of lung cancer amongst the population in areas of high pollution, that needs addressing if the risks are real so it's right that all the polluters are hit by it, if they just hit the public as they usually do then it'd be a stinker. After the initial pain it won't be an issue.

hugh wrote:

Why not? It's a lovely place for a holiday.
enlightened us thusly:

nothing wrong with Wales. Mind, we don't want all the riff-raff coming here.
Austin Shackles wrote:

From where I sit it sodding well is - the close options here are pretty limited.
Austin Shackles wrote:

But that's a different argument altogether.

In the post I replied to we were specifically discussing short-haul flights within the UK/Europe
--
Regards

Steve G

It appears to be the same as Red Ken's LEZ in London, however being a Ken thing, the fines for straying into the zone even for a few seconds for any reason whatsoever are over 100 per day with no meaningful appeal process. Ken's charge is only aimed at diesels as it's those that produce the harmful particulate pollution. I read many years ago that children living near bus stations are growing up with up to 30 times the rate of lung cancer expected in non-smokers so if that's true perhaps there is a problem that needs tackling.