OT Today at the museum

Today at the museum was most interesting. Due to our trips, this last day of November was only the second day on duty this month. It was raining, very much needed here, when I left and I was amazed by the low number of cars on the freeway with their lights on, ignoring common sense as well as the law (Wipers = Lights) I quickly realized that I would have been more comfortable /safe on the city streets. Once there, I was given the usual razzing by my mates and gave it back as well.. I did a few small tasks that needed to be done while having a cup of coffee. Few people were there, both staff and visitors. Holiday season and rain, I figured. One staff member was talking with a member of the B/D at one of the library tables, but as they were going over some sort of document, it meant nothing to me. I did my noontime eye drops and started on some more minor tasks, at the desk and the other two there soon left. Later, I looked down and found I was in the middle of a large puddle or water, maybe six by twenty feet big! With so many staff missing, I had a hard time finding someone to "take the conn," but eventually did. I also called the head Librarian, at home who agreed with my plan to limit damage - he'll take over the clean-up next week, on his regular day, when the spread-out wet papers are dry. The head of the museum came back from lunch and took charge. Being a bit under the weather, I left for home. I forgot the problem with the freeway and got back on it. Wrong. Suddenly, at one merge, there was a massive display of stop lights and my poor old shoe-type brakes were quite upset. The rear end went south as the front went north. The front left tire just tapped the curb and straightened the car perfectly, with me doing all sorts of things with the steering wheel to help/hinder things. I envisioned the driver behind thinking, "That was an amazing display of car control," or, was more likely, "The idiot lucked out that time." I took the next exit and got on city streets. Soon he windows started misting worse, but lowering the windows soon cleared them.

I'll let Marilyn drive to the Christmas party there, tonight.

Reply to
Karl Haas