positive ground

I have a 1954 starliner champion (78,000 miles), but I am missing the electrical system pages of the 1954 supplement. The 1953 book I have says positive ground. I'm thinking, "What if one of the changes in 1954 was going to negative ground?" Another book says that Studebaker changed to 12V negative ground in 1956 (1961 Glenn's New Auto Repair Manual).

The reason for this thinking: Now that I am trying to see if this motor will turn, I notice the battery connectors on the car are the screw-in type and the molded ends indicate negative ground. I cut off these screw-in type connectors and put on the standard post connectors. I now have cold feet, so any help out there would be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve Vogt

Reply to
Newsgroups

Steve,

I'm pretty sure the switch to negative ground was done at that same time as the switch to 12 volts and your car should have a 6 volt positive ground system. As I recall 55 was the last year for 6 volt positive ground, which fits with what your book says.

What do any of the tags on the generator or voltage regulator say?

I suspect a previous owner got the cables switched when he replaced them, unless they converted the car to negative ground, but that would seem unlikely unless they converted it to 12 volts at the same time.

Jeff DeWitt

Newsgroups wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Your six volt 1954 should be positive ground. The switch to negative ground came with the switch to 12 volt in the 1956 model year. Don't go by what the cables/connectors say. Go by where the cables are connected to.

Reply to
studegary

Do you imagine someone might have switched it over to a 12v negative ground sometime since 1954? You might check the tail lamps and see if they are 6v or newer 12v.

Reply to
Loy Daniel

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL