Chrysler Royal, M6 transmission, fluid drive

Do any of those terms mean anything to anyone perusing this group?

Reply to
Nza

Yup (showing my age)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Yup, fluid drive, vaguely. But I'm much younger than Mike.

Reply to
Roy

smart ass!

;^)

Mike Simmons

Hey, we're talking relatively recent stuff here, can the insults!

IIRC, it was 47 to 53 or so...

Reply to
PeterD

Suddenly, without warning, PeterD exclaimed (7/17/2010 5:18 PM):

For widely varying definitions of "recent" :)

Can the insults do what?

:: ducks and runs ::

jmc

Reply to
jmc

yup, had a 50 Desoto with the fluid drive. was a fun car. Could preselect the shift lever then shift by letting up on the gas pedal. we pounded the tar out of that old car and it just kept going.

Reply to
JohnB

My main question is where should i look for 10W oil for the transmission? I haven't seen straight 10w at the store _yet_, but that doesn't mean i've looked hard enough..

It's been hot as hell, so it's taken me a while to get the transmission out of the car and then the engine..

Reply to
Nza

70 weight gear oil may work. Also I think RedLine Synthetic ATF is about 10 weight too...
Reply to
PeterD

I'd be real careful about a syn oil in that application. It may be actually too slippery.

Reply to
Roy

lol slippery slope... i drained the transmission and it had *maybe* 2 quarts in it... the book says 10.5 quarts... it was clear as a bell,however, and very little garbage on the magnetic plug after 60 years.. seemed really thin as well..

so 70w gear oil =3D 10w engine oil? what the hell determines the weight of the oil? does engine oil have a different "scale" or something?

Reply to
Nza

lol slippery slope... i drained the transmission and it had *maybe* 2 quarts in it... the book says 10.5 quarts... it was clear as a bell,however, and very little garbage on the magnetic plug after 60 years.. seemed really thin as well..

so 70w gear oil = 10w engine oil? what the hell determines the weight of the oil? does engine oil have a different "scale" or something?

70 weight gear oil is way to thick for your tranny. 10 weight is still available at most good parts stores. They may have to order it for you and you may have to buy a case of 12 qts. If you have an O'Reilly store near you, I know that it is available there.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Ron Paul, Fred Thompson, and Huckabee came up at the bottom ff mine.

Reply to
Ala

Yep, different scale. BTW, also check hydraulic oil, which is basically (about 10 weight) engine oil without any additives.

Also, another difference between gear oil and engine oil is acidity, one is base the other is more acid.

Reply to
PeterD

Well, he says he needs 10.5 quarts, so a case of 12 would be just right for the job!

Reply to
PeterD

Ok great! Honestly, most of the parts counters around here are somewhat know-it-all jerks... I understand what they must have to deal with daily.. O'Reilly is never my first choice, but I will definitely go there to get the correct oil.

Reply to
Nza

I need to look in the book again.. I don't know if it specified how much of that goes into the Fluid Drive or what part goes into the transmission.. I could possibly need more than 12 quarts.. I'm sure the oil is not shared, otherwise the Fluid Drive is shot.. lol

Reply to
Nza

I went to O'reilly first, and the guy started laughing and "knew" without looking in any sort of publication that there is "no way" to get the stuff. Unfortunately, I knew that was going to be the case. At least the guy at NAPA looked in the book..

So, I then when to tractor supply to check out all the hydraulic oils there... most of them are 20w equivalent. I found one that said

10w20 equivalent... also, there were a bunch of oils that told what they would work in, but none of the initialisms were recognized by my brain.. I am hesitant to put something multigrade in there.

There is a bigger town about half an hour to the south, so i will call around down there and check around.

Reply to
Nza

I found a forum post online and someone whom had just redone his fluid drive said he was using MOBILE DTE Light Circulating Oil ISO 32.... said the fluid drive felt loads better with that.

Guess I'll try and find some of that stuff!

BTW, called the dodge dealer here in town just to get that one out of the way and the guy was like "NO! NEVER HEARD OF ANYTHING LIKE THAT!".. haha

Reply to
Nza

ISO 32 sounds just about right, too...

Reply to