R3 Pan

How can I tell if I have a R3 pan on my Avanti?

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

It would have a chrome breather cap on the vent tube.

Reply to
John Poulos

Is there something different between an R3 pan and a "regular" R1/R2 pan?

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
N8N

N8, you should know better:

BTW, 7 quart pans were a > Is there something different between an R3 pan and a "regular" R1/R2 > pan? >

Reply to
John Poulos

I guess a better question is is anything different about the pan except the breather. I'm not in the habit of tinkering with R3s that much, you know.

nate

(not that I wouldn't m> N8, you should know better:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

There is if you have a six quart pan.

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Guess I'm wondering like Nate, how to distinguish an R-3 pan. There couldn't be too many of those around. My 64 R-1 has a breather exactly like the one in John's picture. I'd love to know what's been tinkered with on this car. Was interested in Nate's question about his engine - mine uses a bit too much oil too. Now I'm wondering if the oil passages could be blocked. I've replaced the oil stem seals and used a cylinder cleaner and did a pressure test(all cylinders around 145PSI) - still blowing smoke when (but only when) I get on it. I read a 70's article that Virgil Rice "reworked" the engine, so I'm thinking some things are not stock, but don't know how to determine what's what.

Keep the information coming, guys!

Thanks, Richard

Richard Morris Renton, WA

1964 Avanti R-1 #5367 1990 Avanti 4-door #78
Reply to
Rich

Reply to
John Poulos