Ralph M.Schlarb,"last Studebaker employee",has passed.....

"Ralph M.Schlab,89,a lifelong resident of South Bend,passed away at

7pm on Sunday,May 7th,in Hospice House in South Bend." "Mr Schlarb was born on Sept.27th,1916 in Lakeville In." "Mr.Schlarb retired from the Studebaker Corporation after over 40 years of employment.He was the very last person to work at Studebaker.After Studebaker closed the doors,Mr Schlarb continued managing the parts department." Rest in peace Mr Schlarb..........
Reply to
Mertz Racing

Man-o-man....Time marches on.. And the last American survivor of the Titanic died this week... Parallels? Jeff

"Mertz Rac> "Ralph M.Schlab,89,a lifelong resident of South Bend,passed away at

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

Reply to
Robert Black

The last survivor that remembers it. She was 5. There are at least two others who were infants.

Reply to
NAV

The news clip I saw said it was the last 'American' survivor. But I didn't follow it that closely. Jeff

"Robert Black" wrote...

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

I think the clip I saw said the other two were 2 years old and 10 months old. I think this woman was 5 when it happened.

Lee

***
Reply to
Lee Aanderud

The clarification on the Titanic survivors is this: The person that died was the last Titanic survivor living in The United States. The other two documented survivors live in Great Britain. Also, there are other living Studebaker employees. Carl Thompson, for one. I'm not sure to what this news item refers, but this gentleman was NOT the last surviving Studebaker employee. BP

Reply to
bobcaripalma

I believe it said he was the last employee - since he ran the parts operation after the plants folded, he may have been the last person on the Studebaker payroll.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Pat Drnec

I read that too, Pat, in the South Bend Tribune nonetheless. I also intrepret it as Ralph Schlarb being one of the last of the five final Studebaker employees in South Bend; not the last actual 'survivng' employee. In Turning Wheels several years ago, there is a nice photo of those five employees gathered that was taken just before the parts division was phased out in 1972. (March 31st? Going by memory here)

Craig.

Reply to
studebaker8

As parts vendors, Clive Cussler and Robert Ballard are no Newman & Altman. And we have a better band.

Both could have been rescued by a Californian?

The Ice Patrol may someday become obsolete through global warming, but there will be a new federal retirement oversight committee every year.

One was covered in brittle, understrength steel; the other was just a car company.

And nobody would pay admission to see diCaprio make out on the hood ornament of a Studebaker.

Reply to
comatus