Some beautiful weather in between tornados...

..is how we describe the climate in NW Ohio.

The garage at the 'little house' beside our orchard was built new in 1950 to replace one knocked down by a tornado. We were about getting sick of the 3 lolly-posts in the center, installed in the 60's with the garage-door openers, because you had to be real careful opening the long doors of dad's Cadillac ETC. So we had a deal set up with one of wife's customers to re-side the garage, install a full-length beam, and get new doors. He got called out of retirement for a job at Fermi in Monroe, or we'd have done that last month.

Last night, funnels were hop-scotching around the county, and a big shear knocked over the black walnut right behind the garage. Caught the peak dead center, and skewed that framing pretty good. The Cadillac is in the driveway because, due to an Eagle Scout project in progress, my 66 El Camino with

13000 miles is in the little garage instead of where it lives, my big block barn. Right now those 3 unwanted lolly-posts are holding that 50' of rare timber aloft above my still-pristine Chebby, while I sit by the phone waiting for the adjuster, trying not to think of Hagerty's, and wondering what God is trying to tell me here.

I'm going to miss that tree (though it didn't miss me by much); my late neighbor brought a nut from his home in Hungary and planted it there. Maybe I should hold on to the wood and use it in the new garage? And maybe I should rebuild 30 feet away, after the same storm hit the same building twice in 57 years...

Reply to
comatus