Stupid mistake but luck was with me

I just had to do a brake job on my 67 Avanti. It is my only Stude that I bought ready to drive and play. I have had it around 10 years. One of the rear cylinders was leaking. It had the regular DOT 3 fluid in it. I decided this was a good time to install silicone. In the process of putting it back together I installed one of the jumpers (between the calipers) on the outside side instead of the inside. I took it for a test drive over to my daughters around 5 miles away. I heard noises when I turned corners so I checked it out when I got there and saw that shiney ring around the inside of the wheel. When I pulled the wheel I found it was almost worn through in one of the two spots. I was lucky I was not going further as I would have lost my brakes. I am also lucky in that I had a spare jumper at home.

Sometimes luck is with us even when we do something really stupid.

PS I know the debate about silicone but it sure saves me as I do not drive my cars as much as I should and the worse problem I have had with silicone was a stuck cylinder which freed up upon lubrication with fluid.

Milt

Reply to
UncleMiltie

You got lucky, and that's nice for a change. I've used silicone brake fluid in my Avanti for more than 20 years without any problem.

Reply to
WayneC

If it makes you feel better- I have done the same thing and caught it before it was a catastrophe. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Try driving off (downhill) without installing the axle key after doing work on rear brake!

Karl (I've never forgot that > >I just had to do a brake job on my 67 Avanti. It is my only Stude that I

Reply to
midlant