What PB ASSY. on the firewall?

Just got back from Omaha. The Stude performed flawlessly.With the exception of the brakes. Bought the Turner kit for the front end. Was going to buy the Turner split master cylinder adapter for the master. But heck, I want power brakes. Not the Studebaker kind, but real ones.The kind like on the Avanti. I could just mess around and see if I could adapt this with something from speedway. Or I could just bite the bullet and move the battery and put it on the firewall. By the way, this is a 62 Hawk, and dam the judging. Which power brake setup works best and what is it out of? I need to know which donor vehicle I need to get the pedal assembly out of? Also do I need to beef up the firewall and how do I do that? THANKS Malcom

Reply to
Malcom Gillette

The '64 "SuperHawk" had the single cylinder MC under the floor, with a hydraulic tube leading up to the hydrovac on the LH inner fender, aft of the battery. I would advise against that (you don't like the judges anyway) as it doesn't have the back up of a split system. If you're prepared to mount a re-enforcement plate on the firewall and can fit a booster and dual piston PB assy in there, that might do. (Room to change the plugs and get to steering box?) Obviously, the floor will look somewhat silly, unless you have a AT car.

Otherwise, I'd go with Jim.

Malcom Gillette wrote:

Reply to
midlant

Malcom, You might want to consider trying the disc setup without a booster. What you should look at is the length of the pedal arm to the pivot and the pivot to the point where the actuating arm to the MC attaches to the pedal arm. If you have one that has a ratio of 7:1, then if you exert 30 lb of pedal pressure the force on the MC piston is 210 lb. The diameter of the piston then determines the fluid pressure. Using the fluid pressure and the caliper piston diameter, one can calculate the force in pounds acting on the disc brake pads. I think you will be suprised with the force available.

If you are going to go the route of a firewall booster I have a booster from an Astrovan that I was going to use in my Lark, but the booster is too long and combined with the MC, the MC would hit the battery. It is a dual diaphragm booster and it has never been installed on a vehicle. It was surplus stock so I got it for a really good price. If you think you can use it you can have it for $50.

JPV

Reply to
Paul Villforth

Reply to