what to clean trans. parts with?

to anyone that knows more about automatic transmissions than I (most of you) - what would be an appropriate fluid to flush out old transmission parts with? I will be pulling the drivetrain in my '55 soon for some work and expect that I ought to at least flush out the torque converter before reassembly. What is generally used for this purpose?

thanks,

nate

Reply to
N8N

Is the fluid discolored? If not, just drain it and replace with new fluid. If it is discolored, I use barsol (the stuff found in parts cleaners), let drain completely and replace the fluid.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire