Wheel Studs

You guys never told me that changing wheel studs on my 55 was going to be such a PIA. I drove across town and got a tool to remove the hubs. The drums came off the hubs without incident but then easy ended. These studs didn't have some wimpy staking, they were pressed into the hub, then the shoulder was swedged 360 degrees all around so the protruding shoulder was about .030 bigger than the hole. I visited an old bud I hadn't seen for a while and we had a beer and milled the stud heads off. Those that still had working threads got pulled through the hub and the rest got hammered out. Bill

Reply to
Bill Clark

Bill, the required tool is a hollow mill; looks kind of like a hole saw. That should remove the swaging just fine. Did you use something else?

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

I use a cutting torch, and then grind down the nubs, punch the remains through with a drift punch.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Turner

We put the hubs in a Bridgeport and milled off the heads and sucked the stud through with a nut. I guess I'm still pretty screwed up cause I don't have a press to put the new lugs back in. They don't pull back in with the nut like they came out, they don't squeeze in with my vise and they don't hammer in and I don't have a reamer to clean up the holes. Bill

Reply to
Bill Clark

IF for some reason you feel the need to tack weld the studs, BOLT A WHEEL ON WITH LUG NUTS TO PROPERLY ALIGN STUDS! YES I KNOW I AM YELLING!!!!!!

Reply to
oldcarfart