knackered threads on wheel studs

As an additional problem to my dodgy brakes I was thinking about sorting out my knackered wheel studs.

On one hub there is no thread down at the bottom of the stud due to the wheel rattling about on loose nuts.

I have tried tightening a new wheel nut onto the stud but the threads in the nut give before the ones on the stud.

I know i can fit new studs but it looks to be hard work - so can i buy a die and recut the ones on the studs with them in place on the hub?

If so then was size and thread are they?

Reply to
Tom Woods

It would help if we knew the details of the vehicle.

Landrovers used 9/16 BSF wheel studs up to very late S2a. Since then they have used 16mm, I think ISO on very late S2a, S3, Range Rover,

90/110/Defender. Not sure about Disco 2/3 or RR post classic but I suspect they are the same even though the pattern is different.

And yes, you can get a die that will recut the thread. Probably the best to get will be a die nut, which is a die that is hexagonal to fit a spanner, which will be easier than using a proper holder in this case because of the other studs. The size spanner will be bigger than the nut size. JD JD

Reply to
JD

Hub in question is from a late 1980 series 3 (post hub seal change as i now know!). It has 27mm wheel nuts.

Where can i buy a die nut from?

Reply to
Tom Woods

okay. found them along with normal taps and dies at

is it 16x2mm then?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Any decent tool supplier

Reply to
EMB

can anybody recomment a uk supplier?

it seems like they are 16x1.5mm which i cant seem to find.

I was thinking of recutting them to avoid the effort of taking the hub off and replacing the studs. Can anybody tell me how i would go about doing the studs if i were to do it properly?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Belt the old one out and press the new one in with a good vice. Recently done one on the trailer. Much simpler than I expected.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

You don't need one - just a big hammer. The studs are press-in, so just knock the offending one out, put a new one in and pull it in to place with a wheel nut and something to act as a spacer.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

If there is "no thread" you have nothing to recut. Much better to just belt out the old stud and replace as others have suggested.

David

Reply to
rads

How do you pull the new one in? wouldnt it need something on the back or a hole through the middle to do this?

I did try to press one out with a ball joint seperator and a spacer on the back but it didnt want to shift.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Whack it wivanammer.

As Richard suggests the base of the studs are sort of splined, as you pull the new stud back in with the nut it will pull the splined bit through the hole, basically a very tight friction fit with the splines digging in to prevent rotation.

Have you the early small nut's or the later larger ones? I've an rear axle at Ma and Pa's that your welcome to that came off Percy. It has the smaller nuts/studs. If it's any use it's yours.

Reply to
Lee_D

Im good at that :). I was polishing the landy earlier and realised that my landrover polishing kit consists of wet and dry sandpaper, G3 compound, t-cut and a pair of lump hammers...

aah. i get it now. when you put em in you pull the threaded section right through from the back. I was thinking they would have to push in from the outside, not pull in..

later nuts. As far as i can tell studs are 32p from richard! I dont mind paying that :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Put the stud in the hole, put some washer/oversize nut "on" the stud, then put the propper nut on and "do it up" - it will pull the stud into the hub (some Language possibly required

Too gentle - this is definately an opportunity for Applied Voilence.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

And you don't have to disturb the hub bearings, just remove the drum, leave the hub in situ, whack out the offending stud(s) and pull in new ones as previous posts suggest.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

It turns out that fitting new studs into a hub is a 5 minute job!. it only takes a few whacks with a lump hammer to get them out and pulling them back through is not exactly taxing!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Ta da! :-)

Knew you'd enjoy the whacking... most theraputic.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D