You read it first in Turning Wheels!

The June 2006 Hot Rod magazine has an excellent technical article on why flat-top lifters and their attendant camshafts are failing at a dramatically-increasing rate of late. It's worth a read if you have the time.

One (but not the only) reason cited was people using current S-rated motor oil designed for new-car engines, none of which (they say) have the flat-top lifters and camshafts that were the industry standard for a hundred years, and are in our Studebakers.

Hot Rod's research points out that current S-rated oils do not have enough zinc and phosphorus compounds to properly lubricate flat-top lifters and cams. They recommend diesel-rated oils, using Shell Rotella-T as an example.

Chemical analysis is given for the requirements of current S-rated oil versus C-rated oil (C = Compression Ignition, i.e; Diesels). The analysis indicates C-rated oils have between 50 and 60 percent more zinc/phosphorus compounds than do new-car S-rated oils.

Shell Rotella-T, of course, isn't the only appropriate oil meeting those standards. Chevron Delo-400 is another such oil, as is Castrol Tection Extra. Incidentally, Castrol Tection Extra is on sale at Auto Zone for $2 off a gallon jug through May. It's regularly $8.79 a gallon here in Central Indiana, but the register rings you up at $6.79 through May: Limit two gallons per customer per day.

Remember, we discussed this oil situation in The Co-Operator some time ago...so get your news first in Turning Wheels ! (I'd appreciate it if any of you computer techies would patch this thread over to the SDC Technical Forum as well. Thanks. BP)

Reply to
bobcaripalma

John Poulos

Thanks for the update Bob.

Those of us who drive our Studebakers on a regular basis should take heed and even the trailer queens will be affected.

JT

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Thanks. FYI: I just checked the Pennzoil website for Art Unger, in that Pennzoil is his brand of choice. The appropriate Pennzoil product is known as Pennzoil Long-Life, Heavy-Duty Motor Oil. If anyone buys Pennzoil, be sure the product says "Long-Life." They also have a conventional, straight-weight oil called Heavy-Duty, but it does NOT carry an API "C" rating, and does NOT contain the words "Long-Life" in the label identification. BP

Reply to
bobcaripalma

And it was posted on Sonny's Racing Studebakers site a while back.... Jeff (Too many forums'...not enough time to read them all) Rice

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

Having a recent oil change, is there an additive that I could use this time?

Karl

Reply to
midlant

" snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Dwain G.

I stopped using additives about 30 years ago. Never had an engine problem since then either. If an additive was that good, and they could sell it for an additional buck... The oil companies would be on it (and have it in 'their' bottle) like stink on poop. Jeff

wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

I doubt that one run of a couple thousand miles with any quality oil will cause measurable damage, flat lifters or no. If it really bothers you it's probably easier to drain and refill with "fleet" oil (Rotella, Delo, etc.) than to try to find a quality additive.

This is only my opinion, and is worth exactly what you paid for it, but I personally don't feel any need to use additives, I just use a quality oil (yes, I've been using Rotella in my Studes and Rotella Synthetic in the Porsche for a while now) and don't worry about it. I have in the past bought detergent additives to try to clean out old, sludgy engines without a teardown but that's about the only kind of additive that I feel any need to use, and even that is a contentious subject - some people think that using "engine flushes" can cause hard deposits to break loose and clog oil passages, and while I've never had that happen, it does sound like a real, if slight, risk.

nate

Reply to
N8N

For you guys who prefer Valvoline products, the Valvoline product with the appropriate specifications is "Valvoline All-Fleet Plus Motor Oil." BP

Reply to
bobcaripalma

Reply to
Robert Black