Your Guess is as Good as Mine...

Why would a black-plate California car this seemingly nice be towed to an impound lot and then not claimed at this late date? Anybody got any theories (shouldn't be hard to scare up on this forum!) Weird...

bobcaripalma

Wow! Looks like a really nice car. Maybe the "unclaimed" could be better explained if they said from where it was towed. Many years ago when I lived in Hawaii I used to frequent a nearby junkyard for parts for my '53 Commander K (five of them in this yard). One day I noticed a really sharp red and white '55 Packard Clipper hardtop in the yard. I asked the owner about it and he told me that it was abandoned at the Honolulu airport. He had the contract to remove cars that had been in the lot over a certain number of days. He would sell it to me for the towing and storage costs (something over $100). The registration was in the car so I tried to contact the owner at his Honolulu address. He had moved back to the mainland with no forwarding address. Apparently he drove the Packard to the airport and just left it. I opened the trunk and found an unused jack and tire tool plus a bunch of NOS parts from Frost and French. I remember that the load leveling worked. Since I couldn't reach the owner I passed on the car. Eventually when I went back to the yard the Packard was on the bottom of a stack of cars waiting to be crushed and sent to Japan.as scrap. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Unpaid storage fees somewhere perhaps? I don't know about California, but in Alberta, unpaid parking/car storage comes under the 'Garageman's Lein Act' whereby the owner of the parking/storage facility can legally seize the car for non payment (90 days, I believe). I'm inclined to believe the Packard was owned by an elderly person who may have let his monthly storage payments slip, thereby losing the car.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Parslow