03 Baja Knock

Is it unusual for the 4 cyl to knock loudly when first started? I have noticed that the Baja is louder than it used to be when first started. It has about 25000 miles on it.

Reply to
Johnson

I have about 37k on mine and all I can tell you is there is a bit less noise overall when I use synthetic oil. Mine is garage parked at home which might help with starting easier.

Reply to
jMon54

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Dealer has changed the oil since new.

Reply to
Johnson

Welcome to the club. :-) Mine OB 02 knocks since 25K KM on cold days (below

5C ~ 35F). They changed engine short block and that helped for about 10-20K KM but it's back again. The reason is very simple, pistons are wider then longer so until the engine warms up they hit the cylinder walls and makes knocking sound. They (Subaru) thought if they strip pistons of exces weigh they can reduce emissions and increase power. The drawback is engine knock.

Cheers, Voja

Reply to
Voja Ilic