'03 OB Parking Lights won't turn off! ???

2003 Outback Wagon, automatic.

Not only do the parking/running lights not turn off when the key is turned off and/or the steering column switch is turned off, but the fog lights won't turn on and the headlights will not switch between high and low beam. I've checked relays under the hood as best I can. No sign of anything there. The only thing I can do until I can get my soobie into the shop on Monday is to disconnect the battery. I'm thinking the steering column switch control logic is hosed somehow, but I can't figure out why that would affect the fog lights. Are they connected? What's going on here?

Ideas anyone?

Wiley Oregon

Reply to
Wiley

Well, the mystery is solved. It seems I'm another victim of the infamous "Parking Light" switch on the top of the steering column. I suppose I should have dug into the owner's manual for some help, but dang...it sure looked like an electrical problem. Now that I know the cause, I understand how I flicked the "P" switch to "ON". I wiped down the dash with a cloth while going through the car wash. OK, does this make me a candidate for this year's Darwin Award?

Thanks anyway!

Wiley

Reply to
Wiley

Reply to
null

It doesn't make you a candidate for the Darwin award at all, but a congratulations for being able to admit to yourself and the world that you made a mistake... precious few of us seem to be able to do that anymore. John

Reply to
John A. Mason

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I absolutely disagree with you about 'bad design'! I am now on my third Subaru and this has never been a problem with me. In fact, the fact that you CANNOT leave your headlights on inadvertently in a Subaru has saved me many times, and I am sure others too. The parking light switch on the steering column is just a feature that all Subaru owners should be/are familiar with. John

Reply to
John A. Mason

John, the head lights have little to do with the Parking Light (hazzard) button on the steering wheel hub. Wiley and I aren't alone with that "situation" according to the dealer. I know that rocker switch is new design, it used to be a snap switch that didn't go on silently. Beside I never use the thing so never think of it.

You might not be able to leave your headlights on but you can sure leave your ignition on with radio and doors open and kill the battery! Did that while working on the Ironman here Jun 29. Had an emergency and left the car unattended while accompaning rider to hospital in the ambulance. Came back several hours later and battery was so dead I couldn't take the shifter out of Park.

Guess we all aren't as alert as you are. ;-)

Don

"John A. Mas>

Reply to
Don Nickell

I guess it's different strokes for different folks. For me, I've always appreciated the feature. And I suppose that 'awareness' I have is going to wear away one day soon...

8-) John

inadvertently

Reply to
John A. Mason