1995 Impreza steering rack replacement.

A few questions for a mechanic or anybody knowledgable. Any help is appreciated.

My mother has a 1995 Impreza sedan with about 90K miles on it. She gets the oil changed fairly regularly at a "grease monkey", or similar place. Last week, they told her that the rack and pinion was leaking and needed replacement. I've driven the car and there are no odd noises or perceptable problems with steering or handling. There are some oil spots in her driveway which could be coming from the rack, but I haven't crawled underneath the car to confirm it.

If the rack is leaking, does the whole assembly really need to be replaced? Or can you just replace boots, seals and such? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
cwrs

More than likely, it's the power steering hoses that are leaking, and the fluid is dribbling down onto the steering gear. And it's probably just the pressure hose, not the return hose. Get under the car and have a look, but first check the power steering fluid level in the pump using the dipstick attached to the pump cover. Make sure to top it off if it's low, even if you're having the car repaired in just a few days.

When you get the hose replaced, make sure the power steering fluid (it's just Dexron ATF) gets flushed and changed too.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bailin