1999 Impreza Transmission Symptom

I have has my 1999 Subaru Impreza for about 3 months. It has about

102,000 miles and for the most part has been great. However, occasionally when I start the car up and put it in to drive, when I step on the gas the car responds like I was in nuetral. The transmission does not seem to kick in. A couple times it took about two minutes befor it would kick into gear and the car would go forward when I stepped on the gas. Each time this happens if I put it in reverse the transmission immediately kicks in as it should and I go in reverse when stepping on the gas. I have also tried putting it into the lower gears to try to go forward when this happens and the car still responds like it is in nuetral. Iv'e checked the transmission fluid level and it is right where the dip stick says it should be. Being a novice when it comes to auto mechanics, can anybody help me with what is going on and any recomendations on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

I'm affraid you need to replace your tranny - hope you didn't pay much for your Subie ..... also - make sure timing belt was replaced ( if not - do it now: these engine are intereference); I wish you never encounter blown HG problem on that MY ( unfortunately for you, 1999 was the last MY for Outback and Impreza to be equipped with 2.5 l DOHC engine and these are known for notorous internal HG failures)

Reply to
daszkiew2000

Often, a transmission 'flush'(where even the torque converter is emptied) and refill will clear out some gummy residue on solenoid valve seats,etc. Much cheaper than a rebuilt tranny to try! Do you have any info as to how well maintained the vehicle was by previous owners? Was it used for towing or delivery or in stop-&-go traffic conditions? Often, the fluid will have a burnt smell or look dark - indicating problems. Does it jerk or shudder in tight turns in the parking lot? If so, you may indeed need a new tranny due to 'torque bind' in the center diff. If you confirm having 2 problems - yeah, better to just get a rebuilt tranny. You might search the forums/ask over at

too.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I'm definetly going to try the flush first. Per your advice I searched thru the posts at

and there were one or two people with similar issues and replacing the tranny fluid and the "spin-on" tranny filter did the trick for them.

Oh, no stutter or jerking around tight turns so I sure do hope this does the trick for me as I am really poor.

Thanks for the replies.

Tony