1999 Subaru Legacy Outback missing oil

I have no idea where my oil could be going because there are no apparent leaks. I bought my subaru used about six months ago and have put in several quarts of oil now. It starts up nice and runs good when it is warmed up. (???) The check engine light came on again two weeks ago and is staying on this time.

My car as a diagnostic appointment next week, which brings me to my next question. Why do some shops only want $25 to run a test where others are charging $70?

Reply to
rhendrickson

Second question... because they can get away with it, I suppose. The test they do is the same, I'm sure: they connect a tester to the test port (I forget what it's called) and read the codes, then reset them.You can do the same with a $100-$200 handheld tester available at most auto parts stores, although the best prices appear to be on-line.

Modern cars seem to be able to burn quite a bit of oil without smoking - maybe the cat converter desmokes the exhaust? Sadly, many cases of sudden (I realize you don't know whether it's sudden) increases in oil consumption have turned out to be broken rings. I am also hoping it isn't the head gasket. Depending on what the codes show, you may elect to do nothing to repair it or may be forced into action :-(

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Might be worth inspecting/cleaning/replacing the PCV valve and/or associated hoses.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

How many miles on the car? Could be the head gasket, and may be covered by Subaru as it is a known issue.

Reply to
Alan