98 Corolla LE Oil Questions

A few questions regarding a corolla's condition. (Note: the corolla was recently acquired, so no real knowledge of previous service history is available :-( ).

1) The motor oil dipstick has some black/brown-ish stains on the upper portions of it (I am assuming from sludge in the past perhaps? Not certain). The engine oil has been replaced 500 miles ago (2 weeks or so ago), and the oil is a good color (very very light-yellow color). When using a new dipstick (replaced the old one) there is no residue of any darker color on it. In fact, it just plain doesn't appear. Is it possible that if the engine was preassure washed with the dipstick in, that that could be the cause of the stains on it? Once agian the stains are more prevelent near the top of the dipstick than the bottom? Engine Mileage is slightly over 100,000 miles now if this helps at all.

2) The previous oil change this vehicle had shows that the oil change facility put in 4.0 quarts of oil. Looking at the car specs, the only number I can find is 3.7L ( approx 3.901 quarts). If the oil change place put in 4 quarts instead of 3.901, is that anything to worry over? The oil added was not from a bulk-stock (individual quarts of Mobil

7500 oil 5w30, provided by the service shop).

3) There are no apparent oil leaks and no smell or smoke coming from the back of the vehicle, and there is no abnormal smell present. Based upon the oil stains found on the original dipstick (now replaced), there doesn't appear to be any damage. Engine runs fine etc. but the oil-level is a -tad- over the max mark (I assume due to the 4.0Quarts instead of 3.90 quarts added). Is there anything that can be done (with a limited budget) to determine if there is any problem internally in the engine as a result of the old dirty dipstick? Once again operation seems fine, and none of the symptoms I have read about seem to appear.

Thanks for any assistance! :)

Reply to
jf

If nobody answers here, try asking over at the auto-rx forums at:

This company has a additive that many people swear by that cleans up sludged engines, slowly, so no damage while 'de-sludging'. Sound weird, but its patented, and alot of guys swear by it. Im using it now in a fairly dirty 98 Corolla engine.

jf wrote:

Reply to
stevelibert

It is normal for the fumes in the crankcase to stain the dipstick. I would not worry about the discoloration, especially if the part of the dipstick that is immersed in oil is clean.

3 tenths of a quart is nothing to worry about.

The only way to tell for sure whether there is any damage to the engine is to remove the valve cover or oil pan and inspect. If the engine oil still appears clean 500 miles after an oil change, the engine is probably in very good condition. I personally would not worry and just enjoy the car.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray,

Thanks. I hadn't heard before that the discoloration of the dipstick was a normal occurance (but then again, it makes sense why all the engine treatment webpages mention it as a reason to buy their products!).

Regarding the oil overage, that definately is reassuring, as I know it's time consuming to measure a tenth of a quart from a single quart package, and I'm sure many oil change locations would overlook that fact.

And regarding the oil condition after 500 miles, yes, the oil still appears clean. I had my assumptions based upon this, but I definately appreciate your insights! I feel much more relaxed now. You made my day sir, and I much appreciate the advise and assistance. ! :)

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
jf

I have a 98 Corolla, 4 quarts is correct as you have to account for what the filter takes also. I have 170K on mine and still use no oil. Change every 5k with synthetic.

Your welcome.

Reply to
Ben Phlat

Ben,

Once again this usenet group has made my day. 170K without a leak or burn is very promising. And your reasoning makes sense. I don't think I have any apprehensions left about this vehicle. Thanks for the advice!

Ben Phlat wrote:

Reply to
jf

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

No leaks, but 4 sets of tires, 2 sets of brakes, etc. Still on the original clutch, not bad for 170K miles. I bought the car new in 98 and paid it off years ago. This is my second Toyoota, now looking for my third.

--Ben

Reply to
Ben Phlat

If well treated they can go a lot more over 170K

Reply to
RT

I will chime in to say that all of my high mileage cars have dark stains on the dipstick. And they just keep going, so I think you need not worry.

Ron T

Reply to
Ron Truitt

Ron T:

Thanks for the input. Definately is nice to hear it's "normal" and not limited to a minority of people.

Quick open question to anyone...

Is there any advantage to replacing a 'dirty' (stained) dipstick with a brand new one (Aside from the obvious easier to read and looking cleaner etc)?

I.e. does the stain/residue in any way negatively affect the engine or oil?

Thanks yet again! :)

R> I will chime in to say that all of my high mileage cars have dark stains

Reply to
jf

No.

No.

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

True, but my piece of junk 93 GMC Sierra, that I bought new also, is falling apart hence the need for a new Toyota. Keeping the Corolla, still runs fine no need to get rid of it.

--Ben

Reply to
Ben Phlat