Any Tribeca owners out there

My wife purchased a new Tribeca 5 passanger, white. Living in NW New Jersey it replaced and Audi A6 AWD. Wanted another AWD. Bought in May '05 we drive in NJ and PA area and to date have only seen 4 other Tribecas. Rides nice but were Subaru got the 250HP rating, I don't know. Power is lacking for NJ, PA boarder hills. I have a '04 Saturn Vue with the Honda 3.5 -250HP. That car shows it HP at any moment, no problem. I only need half throttle to zip past anything. This Tribeca... nope. Good ride, nice insides, stupid non-adjustable roof racks for a SUV. So far we haven't driven in snow but I owned a 2002 OB so I know it will go. Gas is only 20-21 in standard driving. HW is better. High test is the problems. My Saturn takes regular and gets 21-22 and 25+ Hwy.

Reply to
M. Butkus

I have a 5 passenger Limited Tribeca that just turned 3000 miles. I like it very well. It seems to have as much power as the 03 Legacy Outback that it replaced. It is quite a bit heavier, so I would imagine that it would lose in a drag race between the two.

I haven't had a single problem with it since we got it. It is the first new car that I have ever owned that I haven't taken back to the dealer to correct some problems, big or small. I have owned dozens of new cars and so far, this seems to be the best as to build quality.

My wife is the primary driver, my primary vehicle being a 03 Ram Quadcab. I don't like having to use premium and don't usually. The midgrade fuel works fine and the dealership says its ok to use it as long as there is no pre-ignition. I live in Florida, so I won't be driving it in any snow this year. I plan on moving back to Texas next year, so I might get a chance once or twice next year. I like the way the Legacy and this Tribeca handle on wet streets though, and it is a safer car.

snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com sounds like an idiot. There is always at least one on every forum that just likes to display his stupidity for the world to see..

Don

Pinehollow

You have to rev it to get that power.

Long and boring answer. Horsepower = Torque (ft-lbs) * RPM/5252 The Tribeca H6 3 liter is rated at 250 hp at 6600 rpm (199 ft-lbs). It also rated at 219 peak ft-lbs at 4400 rpm (175 hp).

A 3.5 liter honda is obviously going to put out more torque at most rpms and therefore more horsepower at that specific rpm.

By comparison a BMW 330 with a 3 liter (straight six) puts out 225 hp at 5900 rpm (200 ft-lbs). It is rated 214 ft-lbs at 3500 rpm (142 hp).

Learn to rev out the engine under modest throttle. This is a bit trickier with an automatic transmission. I'm sure you love a challenge. Putting your foot to the floor at 2000 rpm doesn't bring good results.

There is still no substitute for cubic inches!

Enjoy your Tribeca.

Reply to
speednxs

Are we talkning about a Honda that weighs the SAME as the Tribeca? I've seen 'rules of thumb' thatindicate 8-11 lbs. of weight for each horsepower. Under 50mph HP/weight ratios are a fair way to compare vehicles, over 60mph drag coefficients begin being very important.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Yep. The faster you go the more important the aerodynamic drag.

Reply to
speednxs