2000 Subaru Legacy GT

Does anyone have an idea what this is?

If you step on the brakes when my 2000 Legacy GT is in Park, there is a clicking sound that seems to come from the front of the passenger side of the car. It doesn't do this in any other gear. It only does this when you push in or let off and it isn't a constant click, just click in and click out.

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike

My guess is it is a relay to release the gear shift from the park position so you can change to other gears. This would explain why it only does it in park. If you don't press the brake, can you shift to other speeds?

Reply to
Henry Paul

Do you mean going from Low to D? Yes, you can do that.

I had someone tell me that it sounded like a bad brake booster, but that just doesn't appear right to me. Is there a chance that IT IS a bad brake booster?

One thing that I have noticed about Subaru's. They seem to be a lot quirkeir than my 99 Honda Accord.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Reply to
Mike

If it is the relay, do I need to get it fixed or is it just noisy?

Reply to
Mike

I meant to say can you shift out of Park without pressing the brake. Some relays are noisier than others, as long as everything is working ok I would not worry too much about it.

I don't think it is the brake booster as you would really have to stand on the brakes to stop the car.

Reply to
Henry Paul

Thanks Henry Paul.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
ismlv

The clicking noise must be a relay being switched allowing the button on the shifter to be released. When you step on the brake, the relay gets power that causes it to activate a switch. The switch sends power to release the button.

Is there a fuse panel near where you hear the clicking noise? The relay is probably in there.

Reply to
Henry Paul

Reply to
ismlv