2001 Forester Knock Sensor again

The guy at autozone tested my car to see why the engine light was on. he said it showed the knock sensor. So I replaced it for $75. But the light has not gone off. I am not happy with this.

Anyone have experience with this? Any reason why the light would not go off? Perhaps the wire is bad or something!?

Thanks for tips.

Reply to
dnoyeB

What octane fuel you running? You might try a higher octane rating if possible. . . . and yes, a bad wire is always a possibility.

I'm sure there are more things to check on your rig.

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

Did you clear the computer? Always good to reset it after replacing a sensor....

Reply to
Bob's Backfire Burrito

I tried the high octane before I replaced the sensor. No luck. Does it require a specific torque setting? Maybe I need to buy a quality torque wrench?

Reply to
dnoyeB

I did not. Typicaly though when the active codes clear the engine light goes off. The light does not light over stored codes. But I'll bite the bullett and buy a code thingy today I suppose...

Reply to
dnoyeB

Some of the auto parts stores (in the USA) will read/reset them for free. Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will reset it too.

Reply to
Bob's Backfire Burrito

I have 01 Forester. Experienced same problem several months ago. The car had ~63K miles back then. Took it to dealer...they fixed it - and it never happened again (so far).

Boris

Reply to
boris