2001 Legacy B4 Questions

Hi all

I've just bought a Japanese Import 2001 Subaru Legacy B4 two litre twin turbo here in New Zealand. It's a metalic sandstone colour and is completely stock.

I have a few questions....

  1. Should I run premium fuel or will the engine management system detect lower octane and adjust accordingly?
  2. Do many people run knock detection systems? I've had turbo MX-5's that use a Link board and knock sensor and cut timing if needed.
  3. It has 6,000km on the clock and I'd like to switch to fully synthetic oil. Any advice/problems doing this?
  4. Is there a good website or forum that has info about the B4?
  5. Any Kiwi owners here?

Thanks Mike.

Reply to
Mike Saint

It will have a knock sensor which will retard the ignition for low-octane fuels, but for long term use you should use better fuel for the turbos and fuel injectors, I use Mobil Synergy 8000 or BP Ultimate, both are 98 octane and have special additives for your type of engine.

I use Mobil 1, and have 150,000 km with no problems.

I have a Mitsubishi Galant Sports GT which is also twin turbo etc.

Reply to
Terry Hollis
98 Octane is the only fuel you should use.

Use Goggle and search "Subaru B4"

This NG is dominated by the folks in the USA and as result they have no experience with B4's.

H> Hi all

Reply to
Tony Burns

I'm a Kiwi owner of a 97 B4, a pleasure to drive, I love it, Only down points are the dreaded turbo-lag between turbo's and only getting 420K per tank of gas.

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

I owned a 99 B4 RSK japan import model & the car runs on 100octane as in their manual recomendations.

If you used 98octane or lower the car tends to doen boost to 0.5bar & does not maintain stock boost of 0.7bar & 0.8bar resp. Try to use octane booster or premix with Hi all

Reply to
kanglck1