2002 wrx brakes

I was surprised to find the pads completely worn in the front of my wrx at 19K miles, but whatever. So I'm going to replace them today, but rather than buy the shop manual just yet, I was wondering if anybody knew if I can apply backpressure to the caliper to make room for the new pads or if that would break the ABS system. I've heard in some cars you HAVE to bleed the brakes to release pressure on the caliper because backpressure causes the ABS system to fail. Anybody know about the wrx? Also, is it one of those calipers where you have to spin it to get it to retract? Thanks for any info.

Reply to
Stu

Nope, they don't have to spin to retract. You don't have to open the bleeder either. Just loosen the cap on the brake resevior, remove the caliper, push the pistons back in with the new pads (easily... don't want the brake fluid to come back out of the resevoir in the engine compartment) and re-mount the caliper. (Don't forget to re-tighten the resevior cap.)

--kC

Reply to
URABUS