2004 Forester XT Questions From Prospective Buyer

I'm thinking of buying a Forester XT (probably a 5 speed) and have a couple of questions that the brochure and website don't answer and my search for info has led me here.

1) Octane needed: 87, 89 or 92?

2) The brochure says that the five speed comes with "overdrive." Is this a true electronic overdrive, i.e. flick a switch for lower revs at cruising speed, or do they just figure that anything with more than four gears counts as overdrive?

3) Does anyone know the RPM at 75MPH in both the Manual or Auto transmission? Do they have different final drive ratios?

4) Is it noisy at highway speeds (75mph)?

5) Can anyone recommend a good (no BS) dealer in the Omaha, Nebraska area?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
TimePixDC

I think the XT only comes with AT.

transmission?

Reply to
Alan

See below...

is a standard 5-speed. Probably, like most, the 5th gear is overdrive, i.e., less than 1:1.

transmission?

speed than either the Honda Accord V6 it replaced, and my wife's Volvo S60.

Reply to
Hal Whelply

Neither. It refers to the gear ratio in the transmission. The ratio is usually expressed in terms of (input shaft revolutions):(output shaft revolutions) or input shaft revs/output shaft revs. 1:1 (or just 1) is known as direct drive (DD). Anything less is overdrive. In the old days top gear was typically DD. Some cars had optional, external, freewheeling (IIRC) overdrive units. When 5-speeds became popular, 5th was OD, 4th either DD or OD also. The odd thing about the Forester transmissions is 4th isn't even DD, and cruising in the somewhat OD

5th, they feel like they could use another gear. Probably not really required at least in the non-turbo, as cruising mileage is pretty good.

Maybe we can fit used Japanese 6-speeds to our Foresters...

Reply to
David

The 4th gear is an overdrive in the Auto as the differential ratio is

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Incorrect. You can get the XT with manual transmission.

Reply to
Jim Bailey

But the manual is not available with the Premium package (leather, sunroof...and AT). At least not unless you have close friends at Subaru. Someone here, or on one of the other Subie boards, said he talked his dealer into a custom sunroof on an MT model.

Reply to
Hal Whelply

Reply to
Rob55

We were looking at the premium package (sunroof and leather seats). This is NOT available with manual.

Reply to
Alan

Nope. MT or AT.

Reply to
TimePixDC

The brochure says that both the MT and AT come with overdrive...

Reply to
TimePixDC

Thanks.

Reply to
TimePixDC

revolutions)

Reply to
Edward Hayes

That would have been me. I convinced the dealer to include both leather seats and the automatic sunroof in my XT with the manual transmission.

They sent it out to a shop, and hey-presto! It was done.

Push the dealer. They will comply.

Cheers, Michael

Reply to
Lord Drool Rockworm

Well I have a Forester XT sitting out in my driveway. It's 5 speed standard and has leather heated seats, moonroof, sound system etc.

Bought it about three months ago (Ottawa, Canada) straight out of the showroom. I understood this to be a standard package.

Anyway to your questions. It doesn't have an overdrive switch/button just 5th gear which is fine. We're metric up here but I can tell you that cruising at 120km doesn't see the tach go over 3400-4000. I wouldn't consider it noisy at highway speeds but yes if you accelerate hard.

Hmm. Oh yes....it does require premium gas 91 octane plus.

Hope that helps

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Purcell

Premium package w/ MT in Canada, huh? Interesting. I think I've read that there's a rear end self-leveling suspension available in Australia. Anyone know how Subaru arrives at decisions regarding what equipment packages are available in various countries? I'd think MT w/ Premium package, and self-leveling rear end would be desirable features in any country. Why don't the States get the good stuff? Or, what good stuff do we get that isn't available in Canada and Australia?

HW

Reply to
Hal Whelply

MT has a fifth gear, not an overdrive... AT is 4 speed...

Reply to
Andrew Morris

Thanks.

Reply to