No moonroof on Forester XT/manual trans (USA)?

I was thinking about going to a dealership to look at a new wagon. The large moonroof is one the things that I really like about the Forester. But I just read this comment from an online Forester XT discussion from middle of last year:

If you choose automatic, the XT moonroof is about 6-8 times the size of the moonroof on the WRX sedan, and the wagon doesn't get one at all (but neither does the XT 5 speed for now).

No moonroof on a manual trans, USA-spec Forester XT?

Is that still true? Sorry for not simply looking it up, but it's not always easy for me to figure this stuff out from the Subaru website (or I'd know already), and I'm curious.

BTW, I know that isn't true for the XS, since I found a used 2003, 5 speed with moonroof, but it may be a little far for me to go look at it. Since I haven't yet driven either, who knows, but I might be plenty happy with the normally aspirated one.

Reply to
David

I've not yet figured out any advantage to a moon roof. I've had mine open perhaps 6 times in 3 years and closed it up almost immediately.

Not only does it remove useful headroom, but it allows little, if any air movement and about the only effect I get is the sun beating down on my face/head.

IMO, its a totally useless accessory, but the manufacturers keep pushing them.

Reply to
mj

Correct. Like the other poster says, I use mine infrequently, but it's nice to have on trips, in scenic areas. I also have e-mail from a person at Subaru headquarters stating that the moon roof model probably has a more strongly-braced roof structure than the non-moon roof version. I'd written to ask if it was somehow reinforced since it appeared the moon roof did away with the crosspiece that would otherwise extend between the B-pillars.

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply

FWIW, I didn't go with the moon roof on my 2003 Forester since it removed at least an inch of headroom. My experience has also been that snow+ice+moonroof=disaster.

with moonroof,

driven either, who knows,

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Thomas R. Burkholder

I've had them on most of my last several cars, and I enjoy 'em. Hard for me to imagine paying so much for a car without one. Maybe it could happen...

Judging by the response, maybe Subaru judged their market correctly when they severely limited moonroof availability. OTOH, several years ago when I considered an OBW, I rejected it because of the poor sunroof/moonroof option.

Reply to
David

I just got an '04 Forester XT with a manual trans.

The moon roof (and leather seats) was one of the things that I really pressed the dealer for. In the end, they agreed to have it done. I spent nearly 5 hours there and really grilled the poor bastard! But in the end, I got what I wanted.

I really think that the guy was glad to see me go.

Cheers, Michael

Reply to
Lord Drool Rockworm