2005 2.5i Outback road tests or experience?

Does anyone have a road test report, or better still personal experience, of the 2.5i Outback AT - that is the base version plus automatic?

All the road tests I've read were of the the H6 or the XT since I guess that's what the reviewers want to drive and it also makes good copy, but what about a report for those of us (the majority) who can only afford the base model?

In particular I'd like to know if the 2.5i with automatic has adequate power for all round driving including freeway, or is it just too gutless?

Reply to
teekaynospam

Recently I have had the opportunity to test drive the 2.5i, the 2.5XT (turbo) and the 3.0R (6 cyl). I found the 2.5i to have about the same power and a bit improved handling over my current '99 Outback(2.5) wagon. I would NOT characterize the 2.5i as gutless, and would have ordered it for it's value, (and use of 87 octane gas)...BUT my wife really liked the interior on the LLBean edition and she liked the extra responsive of the 6 cyl. (go figure, eh?) so that's what we ordered.

Keep in mind the 2.5 turbo and the 6 cyl. versions require 91 octane premium gas.

Hope that helps...

Reply to
Pete

Thanks - good news. Yes, I realize the others need premium gas and that's defintely a factor for me.

That's a switch! Usually it's the guy wants the power. I do too, but being presently unencumbered by a spouse I can settle for my optimum choice :-)

Reply to
teekaynospam

I recently drove both the auto (my first visit, because there wasn't a 5 speed in stock) and the manual, which was my preference. It seems as though they've reset the automatic to shift down and hold it earlier - it was really smooth, but downshifted much more quickly than I'd have thought proper. I guess that's just a setting, and when I later drove the 5 speed I could see that it wasn't a power problem - the 4 still has some pep, it's no sportscar - but the HP wasn't the problem. I'd strongly advise driving the auto if you're considering it, as it seems unusual to me - not bad necessarily - but different. Alas, I ended up not buying it, cause even the base model is still a bit pricey for my needs.

Reply to
Fred Holt

I drove all three and prefer the 2.5i auto for its pricepoint/performance. Having the Seletronic(sp?) shift allows you to power shift up big hills or for agressive passing. That said, I also recently drove an '05 Saturn VUE AWD with the new v6 (same Honda motor as Accord and Pilot). With 250hp... it's quite a deal at only $24k (Los Angeles) out the door. I still have issues with the rest of the VUE being Saturn though...(g).

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

Hallo, I bought an 2005 Outback 2.5i AT five weeks ago and i am happy. I made my hollyday trip with this car 3000 km towing my boot (1500 kg). No problems !

On the autobahn max speed ist about 200 km/h. without trailer !!

There are some tests at the german web-side of subaru, but only in german. All test say, a very fine car. I too !

Manfred

Reply to
Manfred Begemann

Couldn't agree more, I test drove the (german version) of the 2,5i a month ago. It was the base version (no leather, navi or dual-moonroof) but it was still very good. It would definatly choose this engine, its very smooth, but I would take the Limited (Comfort called here) with the above stuff... Btw. The maximum speed is 220kph and then a limiter kicks pretty hard. So there is room for more. On the other hand ,there is no speed limiter at the 2,5 with the stick and the 3.0R...

greetings Arne

Reply to
Arne Herrmann

I bought the base model wagon (champagne gold/granite grey trim) for all the reasons stated here (plus, plenty of power for me, leather is too hot out in the Arizona desert, value for its class is outstanding!).

Check out the review links I have saved and posted on my web site. There are reviews from all over, but mostly large US media groups. All are very positive!

Bottom line is: once you test drive an '05 Outback or Legacy, you will want one!

-KarenM-

(PS: please let me know if you find more reviews, or if any of the links don't work correctly!)

Reply to
Karen Martin