2005 Forester

I think your list reflects well the range of problems though you tend to exagerate the rate at which they occur. I admit I don't hang out at the Ford Explorer newsgroup so, please tell
me, are there NO COMPLAINTS there?
Carl
DR. FAFOOFNlK wrote:

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Oh yeah, there are complaints in the Ford forum too, however..VERY few of them are vehicles less than 5 years old. I am pointing out the problem cars that come out NEW with defects, correctable ones (like the leaking fuel lines). Ford is not without "problem" vehicles either. Part of this is due to them sleeping with Kia (they have for years). Fords problem(Ford/Lincoln Navigator and some "F" Series trucks) with cruise control switch fires (caused by brake fluid seeping into the switch) was a poor design. Aerostar (now THIS is a real piece of shit) ignition switch fires. The Ford "Fuckus" (Focus) is a turd, had one as a rental car in hawaii for 30 minutes and took it back for a Honda Ford Work trucks and "E" series vans......bulletproof
I look at the postings as a "Crosscut" of Subaru customers..many of which dont post (or even know it exists).Some do post they like their cars (a lot) others tell of high miles, but way too many mention problems with **NEW** ones, less than 5 years old, less than 50,000 miles and this is simply not acceptable by todays standards. Quality control, good design CAN be done. I mention the fuel leak incident because it's EASY to design around that. many other cars out there have HIGH-PRESSURE fuel injection and they dont leak in cold weather. It's CHEAPO parts, Subaru saves a few cents on each car AT YOUR EXPENSE. I expect this on a $5995 new KIA Rio, not a $15,000+++ car.
Look at Daewoo...they are dying/dead. Besides the ugly styling, they were falling apart on the lot. They are CHEAP...low priced, but even that didn't save them. No one wants to sit on the side of the road, 150 miles from a town thinking...I am SO damn glad that I have a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty on this car. Even tho I am stuck out in the middle of nowhere, will miss work, will have to rent another car i feel warm and fuzzy all over because i know my dealer will fix it AGAIN. The ONLY way to prevent the car companies from putting out shitty workmanship is DONT BY IT. Stopped Daewoo cold in the U.S.A.!! Kia cant sell much here, Hyundai is pretty much shut down here. So what do they do?? They ship these turkeys to 3rd world countries hahaha Thats the ticket. Sell them to the poor people. They will buy ANY running "Hooptie"
Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Carl,
Methinks Dr. Rasty got the ONE good unit Ford produced that year... my sister, sister-in-law, and several other acquaintances have or have had Explorers over the last 10 years, varying years amongst them. They have registered NO complaints on the Internet about them. Probably cuz the Ford dealers, where they spend SO MUCH of both their time AND money, don't provide Internet access in the customer waiting areas. But in defense of the Explorers, nobody I know has rolled theirs over with a blowout. Yet...
No car's perfect. Dr. Rasty doesn't even own a Subie, so I fail to understand what axe he has to grind here, but even if every single one of us who posts here had ALL the problems he mentions, in the grand scheme of things, considering even that the total number of Subies sold is minuscule compared to Toyota Camries or Ford Explorers or other popular makes, we'd hardly prove the marque unreliable.
Of the various people I've known personally who've had Subies, the one who just hit 150k miles on his is the lowest mileage owner. Many have/had over 200k, mine has 360k (that's miles, not kilometres, and, don't forget, it blew up last week and even Dr. Rasty couldn't say anything bad about the miles it's gone!) I think you'd be hard pressed to find many Explorer owners with that kind of mileage. I don't think I know anyone who could stand one that long (F-series owners being the only Ford owners I know who stick with their vehicles until some big numbers show on the clock. Well, if their ignition switches don't burn them up?) So even though my inputs are strictly anecdotal, I think the rants from a non-owner are unwarranted.
Rick
I would have to agree there. My father-in-law works for Ford and insists on purchasing these things every few years. Not only does he take an absolutely huge hit on resale, even with A-Plan discounts, he has had to either dump money into them after the warranty expires or spends an eternity waiting for the warranty repair to be completed. Funny, the majority of failures reported by Fafoofnick were some of the ones experienced in four seperate Explorers. These include paint problems, A/C compressor failure, CEL caused by O2 sensor failures, and finally blown engine due to oil starvation caused by bad castings.
Yes quality certainly is job 1 at Ford.
-Kurt
Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

As well, as far as I know, the 2006 redesign (slightly) is out in a couple of months, July where I am... wait for that one as well...

mn wrote:

Personal experience:
Better quality, comfort, performance and reliability than Ford, VW, Nissan and Mitsubishi.

Well, the Forester XT (FXT) is our 3rd Subaru. We also owned a Legacy and a WRX STi. My wife drove the Legacy on a mail route for 10 years and beat the crap out of it. We traded the STi in on the FXT because my wife just didn't like the STi. I loved the STi. It was a blast to drive. But, truthfully, it wasn't very practical. The Forester is comfortable, smooth riding, and quiet. My wife loves it. The only negative thing I can say about Subaru's is that the Gas mileage stinks! We've been getting about 22 mpg. And that is 95% highway miles. With the current cost of premium gas that hurts. But, then again, we didn't buy the Subaru for it's great gas mileage. We really like Subies AWD system and they have been very reliable and cost effective for us.
My 2000 Forester S has 85,000 + trouble free miles. My none turbo car has plenty of power for a daily driver and yields 27-28 mpg at 70 mph on regular gas. My town driving yields about 22 mpg. A very nice ride for the money. I did not think the AWD would be a benefit here in FL. but what a pleasant surprise when we get one of out frequent downpours and there's 6 inches of water to drive through.

Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to buy the Forester L.L.Bean and so far I am liking it very much. I do miss my Taurus SEL, though.
Thanks again. Your experiences and advice were invaluable.
Mark

Thanks for the update! Fafoofnick will be dissapointed, I'm sure.
-Kurt
mn wrote:

But you couldn't possibly miss the ugliness of a Taurus. They are so ugly that in Australia they just didn't sell.
Ford were selling 2002 plated models in 2004. Fortunately they are pretty rare here so we don't have to look at them very often. The Falcon is much better looking. http://www.ford.com.au/showroom/passenger/Passenger_Vehicles.asp
Ron
On Sun, 1 May 2005 09:21:41 +1000, "p38arover"

Oz again gets a cool car not available in the US.
The Falcon looks like a Mustang hit a BMW 3 series, from the photos.
Barry
Bonehenge wrote:

Wonder how Ford's fortunes would fare if they sold that car in the US? Pix look good...
Rick