squeaking noise at low speeds

I just bought a used 2000 Subaru Outback and I have started noticing a 'squeaking sound' when I am moving in first and second gears. I am not sure if the sound dissapears after that or I just dont hear it over the wind (since I have my windows down to try and hear the sound). I am going to take it to a mechanic next week but I'd like to have some idea about what it is so I dont get ripped off.

The front brake pads are at 5% and need to be replaced. Could that be the problem?

Could they be springs on the fly wheel?

I would greatly appreciate any input on this problem

K-dog Davis, CA

Reply to
K-dog

Brake pads have metal tabs that create a squeaking noise observable at low speed with no brake application. Stepping lightly on the brake will make it go away. Dying u-joints will also begin to make noise. If in doubt, go to a qualified mechanic who has Subaru experience.

Reply to
Polish Boy

Thanks, Polish boy

Reply to