2009 Subaru Legacy Concept

Hello Friends! Take a look at the 2009 Subaru Legacy Concept

The 2009 Legacy Concept features an aggressive front facia and solid yet expressive body, sharp design lines a dual vertical row layout of multiple LED lamps.

Anuj Agarwal

Looks like a Toyota Avensis, that is to say, yawn, yawn, boring!

Reply to
CharlesTheCumguzzler

.. it doesn't look good.

The front caddy-esc lights are awful, and I don't know why they bother with the 'blade' through the center of the grill. IMHO the current and previous models always looked better with the after market grills that dispensed with the cross bar / blade / wing / whatever they call the style element.

Wheel arches - Mazda and Honda called, they want their flares back, though they look better in the shots from Detroit than the cg shots.

The back looks like a current Toyota Aurion/Camry - not bad, but nothing special.

Hopefully the headlights and all of the silly angles are dropped before production to get the cost down. I'll hopefully be looking at the JDM09 RSK / GT / GTB-etune / etc equivalent in about 6yrs :)

Reply to
cobs

Reply to
Big Jim

Gotta agree. I was behind a new WRX sedan the other day and I must have repeated *UG-LY* 4 times. No pizzazz whatsoever.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Heh, I haven't seen a new shape sedan on the road, but every time I see the back of the current Impreza hatch (std/rex/sti) I think Outlander (the Mitsi soft-roader, like a Forester or Honda CRV). Not massively ugly, but not what you want to be (albeit fleetingly) confused with.

Reply to
cobs

Now, I like hatches, and when I saw the new Impreza hatch I liked it right off the bat. But the sedan look too plastic...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I actually think that the current legacy is a sharp looking car. The imprezza hasn't looked good since the nineties though. The new one I like from some angles, but the tail is just not right. I can't put my finger on it, but the tail end doesn't work for me. The baja... Well, at least they didn't waste too much money developing it since it is just an edited legacy.

I think Legacy beauty skips generations. First gen was kind of boring. Second gen looked much better. Third gen had awkward tall headlights and lost the curving lines arround the tailights that blended so well with the sides of the body on the second gen. Fourth gen is beautiful. Fifth gen so far does not look good from the front. I can only hope it looks better in real life.

Reply to
weelliott
[trimmed]

You sure of that? Changing the cage means a whole lot of new modeling to check its strength to various forces with subsequent crash testing. I somehow suspect sedans have a slightly stronger cage than wagons despite the folding rear seats and a pass thru trunk.

I remember watching a Lotus infomercial a while ago where they mentioned that it was a whole lot easier for them to design a new engine than to design a new door. Since I don't know if Lotus even builds their own engines I wonder if that was some kind of an inside joke though.

Reply to
sndive

You might have a good point... or two. I don't know who built the esprit engine, but I think it was Lotus. Maybe it was Rover. I know the toyota engine wasn't always in the Elise, but I don't know what was in it before the celica powerplant.

As for the redesign of the structure and crash tests... It would create a lot of regulations nightmares, but I'm pretty sure that they got to reuse the entire body forward of the B pillar, which saves a lot of engineering that might go on in a totally new vehicle. Then again, a totally new vehicle is so rare nowadays. Lexus SUVs pull in twice the money of the toyota camry that they share a frame with. The

300, Charger, challenger, and magnum are all the same platform with a few major edits. Even the new 1 series from BMW is based on the 3 series and has the mass to prove it.

Speaking of which... (and getting back to the original thread.) I wonder if the new subaru legacy is based on the same platform as the previous generation. It's a good place to start.

Reply to
weelliott