3m Invisible Bra

I know this has been talked about before, but i wanted to get an update. I am looking into getting one of those "clear bras" for my 03 Forester and i was wondering how they have held up.

I am most concerned with the area surrounding the fog lamps..... that area is painted plastic, and it is plyable. i am worried that if it gets pushed against, will it mess up the clear bra?

Secondly, most people that had it talk about how it drys in the sun and all the bubbles that are there initially, go away. well it is late fall now, and we dont have much sun to heat up and dry it out. in fact it isn't getting above 50. so should i wait for spring, or will it be ok without the sun to dry.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Smith

Do it now before the winter sand and road grit make more chips in the paint. It's totally flexible and won't be bothered by any flexing or forces that wouldn't have damaged the underlying paint or surfaces way worse. And it will dry, and the minor bubbles will evaporate even in colder weather. After all the roads dry - and so will the 3M film.

After two years with it >I know this has been talked about before, but i wanted to get an

--------------------------------------------------------------- Alan Peterman al at scn.rain.com Tigard, OR As I grow older, the days seem longer and the years seem shorter.

Reply to
Alan Peterman

What do you have to do to install it, and how much and where can you find it?

Thanks, Duke

Reply to
MDCORE

Is the film removable at a later date, without messing-up the paint underneath?

Reply to
Brian Wasson

You can buy the film either in bulk or precut to fit your vehicle. On my wife's BMW we got a precut film kit from BMW parts, on my WRX we used the bulk film. Bulk film costs between $3 and $7 per square foot, and we bought it in 12" wide rolls - I got 10 or 12 feet at about $70, back then the cheaper places were not available. My wife's kits for the whole front, hood, bumper, mirrors and everything was about $150 from BMW. Of course you can pay up to $600 to get it done and installed from many shops. Best price for the bulk material seems to be:

Installation is basically laying it on and squeege it down and some stretching to fit compound curves. After a while it becomes easier once you get used to the material.

A good site with info on installation is at Xpel. Click on the support tab, and then the installation links, or the tips and FAQ links.

--------------------------------------------------------------- Alan Peterman al at scn.rain.com Tigard, OR As I grow older, the days seem longer and the years seem shorter.

Reply to
Alan Peterman

We removed it from a car after a few months with no problems - we decided we could do a better job, and the second time we did it the job was perfect. I gather there MAY be issues if there are paint repairs under the film which could be pulled up with it, but I doubt it based on my experience. Basically you warm the film with a hair dryer, and then peel it off pulling it at an acute angle. Seemed to come off fine once it was started.

--------------------------------------------------------------- Alan Peterman al at scn.rain.com Tigard, OR As I grow older, the days seem longer and the years seem shorter.

Reply to
Alan Peterman

You can buy the pre-cut kit from

Click

Reply to
Sam J. Rabinowitz

Here are some links I have collected...

3M information about the film
Various distributors of kits and material There is detailed installation information at some of them.

Just ordered a standard kit from Invica-Shield for a 2003 OBW. 10% discount through end of October.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff