4WD 4WS SVX

I live in Auckland, New Zealand & over the past 15 years we in NZ have seen a lot of Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) cars coming in with all sorts of extras - Mazda MX6 4WS 4WD, Subaru STI works cars, Toyota Soarer etc etc most not available in the USA or Canada.

Well today I took my baby into our local Subaru dealer to get what I suspected was a wheel bearing replaced - mines a red 1996 with full leather & moon roof with 110,000kms on the clock.

Yes they confirmed that the bearing need replacing, but while I was there the service guy showed me 2 4WS versions up on the hoist both with the same rear steering problem - 1 had been there for nearly 4 weeks!!!! the other for 1 week.

The service guy said that the only information that they could find was on the net & it was in Japanese - even after translating it, it actually could not help the sort out what was wrong, they suspected the rear steering electronics "black box" - they are no longer susported from Japan as 4WS was only available on approx 250 cars on the JDM in 1992 - so buyer beware, or if anyone happens to see a wrecked 4WS version then let the others know as the electronics & rear stearing box (which sits behind the rear axle) will be as rare as hens teeth.....

Subaru here in NZ are sending both ECUs back to Japan to be serviced (hopefully!!) & then get the cars back on the road.

Hope this makes interesting reading for someone...

Steve in New Zealand

Reply to
Stephen

How to' for 4WS codes

For those very few who have RHD and 4WS, here are the codes for deciphering the 4WS check light.

1) Remove the kick panel just beside accelerator pedal. 2) Locate blue wires. 3) Locate black connector. Hold it so that the notch is up. 4) With ignition off, insert one (either one) of the blue wires into top row, 4th pin from left. (The black connector has 4 pins in the top row and six in the bottom row) 5) Turn key to on position, but do not start the car. 6) Watch flashing 4WS light on dashboard. Count blinks. Long blinks = 10, Short blinks = 1. 7) Keep watching flashing light until you have remembered the code/codes

CODE PROBABLE CAUSE

11 Speed sensor - cut/short 13 Steering Wheel Angle Sensor - off centre 14 4WS ECU - no power 21 Steering Wheel Angle Sensor - cut/short or sensor failed 22 Steering Wheel Angle Speed Sensor - cut/short 31 Rear Wheel Steering Sensor and Motor - failed 32 Rear Wheel Steering Sensor - cut/short?@or sensor failed 33 Rear Wheel Steering Speed Sensor - cut/short or sensor failed 34,37 Rear Steering Motor - no power 35 Rear Wheel Steering locked due to short in Steering Motor 36 Rear Steering - Left/Right Lock has been exceeded. 41, 43, 44 4WS ECU failed 42 Rear Wheel Steering Motor - no power due to blown fuse 45 Rear Wheel Steering Motor short, ECU failed

To clear codes (after problem has been resolved):

1) Ignition 'OFF' 2) Remove Fuse SBF7 (4WS) from Fuse Box in Engine Bay. Wait 5 minutes. 3) Reinsert fuse. 4) Recheck as above to ensure all codes have been cleared. No codes = steady blinks at 1/4 second intervals.

Also check

|9730for pictures of the diagnosis c>I live in Auckland, New Zealand & over the past 15 years we in NZ have

Reply to
immortal_suby
4WS was standard on JDM VL models of which 1900 were made. The 4WS system was made by Mitsubushi, so many parts were also used on various Mistubishi models.

paddlesnz JAPAN

Reply to
paddlesnz