86 Subaru GL -- repair?

Hi, folks. I'd like a few opinions on what to do with my beautiful

1986 Subaru GL hatchback. This was my first car, and I've managed to keep it alive with expected maintenance. It has a "new" timing belt (1995), "new" carburator (1995), "new" clutch (1990), "new" master cylinder and clutch master (1997). In my mind, this is practically a "new" car!

However, it needs some work. For instance, the timing belt just broke. I think one of the CV boots may be cracked. The A/C is long gone, the radio is on the fritz, and there's rust down below. And considering the last clutch change was 16 years ago, I have a feeling it's due for another.

The cost to repair the timing belt (and all the other stuff that goes with it) is around $700. My guess is that I could spend double that and get a few other things taken care of. Throw in a few extras (tires, brakes, detailing to get rid of the funk) and I figure $2000-2500 to get it back on the road. It has around 136,000 miles on it.

At this point, it's starting to sound like time to buy a new car (or a used one). I really don't want a car payment, although I guess I could do it if I had to. I live 1 mile from work (I usually walk or ride my bike) and just use the Subaru for around-town driving when my wife has our other "new" car (1996 Neon).

Could anyone offer any opinions or advice about this situation? Is $2500 too much to spend on a 20 year old car? I know this is entirely subjective, but I'm just hoping to get a variety of opinions. My family tends to think I'm crazy for keeping it this long, but to me, a car is just a series of interconnected, replaceable parts. When something break, you fix it, right?

Thanks! Joseph

Reply to
Joseph O'Brien

Sometimes you do have to let things go, though the hatches a very popular and a lot of folks over at

seem to be able to keep older soobs running for a long time. You might investigate what it's worth is putting some feelers out on selling it. One thing I've always asked myself about my old beaters, is the value of it PLUS the cost of repairing it more or less than the cost of a similarly reliable vehicle.

good luck on your decision!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi,

Personal opinion:

Money spent on an "old" car will never "repay" itself in "value added" to the car. However, many of us JUST LIKE a particular car, and since we've got to pay for transportation one way or another, prefer keeping the old one going to buying another one that might just need a ton of work, too! (And money NOT spent on cars is money that CAN be spent on nice bicycles! I sure miss MY "almost carless" days when my bicycles were all I needed about 99% of the time.)

My "personal" rule on old cars has some basis in something I was told while in college. The fellow I was talking to (a lawyer who did NOT drive new cars) related an exercise his econ prof had them do when he was in school concerning vehicle costs. The conclusion of the class was as long as the frame was straight and the body not rusted (combined w/ most of today's cars but the concept's still good), it was cheaper to keep fixing the old car. The fact you mentioned rust got my attention.

I have too many cars and too little time to play with all of them, but to give an example of my "thinking": sitting in the garage is a 914 Porsche, that runs, and my '90 Subie that blew its motor. The Subie is "solid" and I debate returning it to service. That decision will be emotional, not economic. The Porsche, though cosmetically nice outside, suffers from some hidden but potentially serious chassis rust, making it, in my opinion, unsafe w/o some extensive repairs. It's in line for a new home as a parts/restoration car. Opposite what folks tell you about your ol' Subie, people keep encouraging me to fix it "cuz it's a classic." I see a fine line between "classic" and "money pit." For THAT car, the decision is devoid of emotion. I'd apply similar thinking to the rust on your GL before deciding whether to pour money into it: cosmetic rust? Fix the car if you want. Structural rust that affects safety? Retirement time--find another one.

Good luck either way!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Hi Joseph

I'm with one of the previous posters, my 86 is "my" baby. Just put new exhaust on it this year to the tune of 400 bucks, and will get it out of the hospital today with a new clutch, and totally torn down to true up a warped head AND no more pesky oil leaks. Figure I bought it new, and it just goes and goes. If you buy new, then you have payments, if you buy used, you're most likely buying headaches the previous owner didn't want to fix. So to me; the 1000 or so is just maintenance. If having a car is a necessity, and you like it, who cares what it costs to fix. Even if you have to pay it off over a couple months, still beats 60 EZ payments of 400 bucks or so.

IMHO.

Mark 86 GL 4x4 wagon.

Reply to
pheasant

for 136k that is alot of repairs..... I too am questioning the overall integrity of the car, but if you know what it needs to keep going, havadit. As replies mentioned, it beats car payments , priceless to know what you have. I drove one 1987 until it was 17- replaced the timing belt after going way beyond the interval and breaking it. That was all it needed aside from cheap fuel pump. I gave it away after breaking the body .I broke mine in "the belly". I have yet another 87 that just turned 20, replaced an alternator it didn't need and some body work, some adjustments. I hope your 86 does good, but there is indeed a time to let go, all up to you.

Reply to
bgd

Thanks to everyone for your opinions. I think I'll have it towed to the shop and ask them to walk around it with me. If we find that it is structurally unsafe, I'll junk it.

Thanks aga> for 136k that is alot of repairs.....

Reply to
Joseph O'Brien