92 Subaru Legacy Windshield Defrost Kills Engine @ low RPM

I was slowly going down a relatively steep urban grade in the snow...at low RPM. The engine stopped and took steering and brakes with it. I stopped with emergency hand brake. A little tense for awhile.

From then, idling or low RPM leads to engine dieing if, and only if,

the windshild defrost is put ON. Headlights and rear window defrost are off. At idle, the RPM bounces erratically back and forth from 200 to 1500 and the engine dies after about 20 seconds unless I "give it gas" and get the RPM about 1500 or so. I hear cluncky clicks from right center of dash sometimes while the dieing is going on.

I take it that something has failed. Any ideas what has failed?

Reply to
woodburnbob

Check your air conditioner compressor. Defrost runs the compressor to dry the air going to the windshield.

~Brian

Reply to
strchild