93 Impreza transmission fluid?

Hey everyone- I have a 1993 Impreza L (2WD) that has served me well. I've noticed on really cold mornings that it has a tough time going into overdrive (it's an automatic) - if I'm trying to get up to 60 on the highway before it's completely warmed up, it stays in 3rd and revs up to about

3.5 for a little bit before finally going into 4th/OD. Anyway, my dad told me I should get the auto transmission fluid changed (NOT flushed) because it's probably old and gunky. Here's my question - can I use any brand of transmission fluid for it, since it's a 2WD? (I'm able to take it down to a nearby military base auto shop and they'll drain/change it for me as long as I supply the fluid, which saves me $$$ since I'm poor. ;) Also, how much should I expect to buy?

Sorry if this sounds like an inane question for some of you, but any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

-KC

Reply to
kchurch05

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1143742654.793161.206700 @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Probably should, but that's likely not going to change what you are writing about. Many transmissions are set up so they will not go into OD until the engine is warmed up, in order to cause the engine to warm up quicker.

Reply to
Larry Weil

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Good idea. Is this something I can do myself? (I'm not exactly a mechanic... I can change a tire and check my oil, but that's the extent of my abilities! :)

Reply to
kchurch05