98 forester sold

i am thankful to the lord i was able to sell this car, especially after all the stuff i read.

Reply to
glasceus

I hope you bought a different brand so you can annoy their board with all your whining.

Reply to
BobN

So I guess you won't be around anymore? too bad, I was enjoying your post. "First I bought a car, then the headgasket blew. So I decided to put cruise control in it, damn, that didn't fix the headgasket, so I decided to get laid in it... Damn, that didn't fix it either, so I sold it. I guess the saga ends. too bad, it was quite entertaining.

I. P. Freeley

Reply to
jerryeveretts

Right? :) Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

Reply to
Remco

wow. why do people defend such a crappy car? i thought u guys would be happy for me that i was able to unload this piece of junk? why cant u guys just be happy for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Reply to
glasceus

Don't feed the troll.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Hey, I'm happy! Maybe your Forester will find a better family to live with... and you should be happy you didn't wake Dr. Rasty.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

thanks rick, got knows i put a lot of effort and heart into keep ing this car. but when it came down to it i had no choice but to pull the plug. it started with the windshield and ended with air in the coolant. i have never had a car give me such headaches in such a short time (i owned it for just over a month) . by the time i sold it the coolant in the overflow bottle was near the top when the engine was cold!!! can u say major air in the system? man i wish the new owners luck. maybe they have the 2 grand to through at the gasket.

Reply to
glasceus

I am happy for you! This means you wont have to endure.......

Cold weather fuel leaks Too small alternator for the job Blown head gaskets Oil leaking from divertor/control valve Blown Headgaskets. Coolant leaks and "magic" juice to add to the radiator A/C that can't keep up in the summertime Blown Headgaskets Lots of weird electrical problems Cheap paint that chips/flakes even when the car is parked. Water leaks Did I mention BLOWN HEADGASKETS? Expen$ive replacement parts Poor customer service and rip offs by the dealers "Special" shaped radios that you cant replace with a standard "DIN" chassis.

What did you replace this road-apple of a car with?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnurd

what did i replace it with? nothing as of yet. i'm driving a old toyota right now. its definitely gonna be toyota or honda though. thanks for the support man. i did some research before i bought this car and found a couple good reviews. but after i bought it and started going to message boards i found all the horror stories.

wanna hear something funny? the person who bought it off me said they went on the net and read nothing but "good things" about this model. when they then this i just smiled and kept my mouth shut. sigh, what a relief. its gone. thanks for the support again

ps. i did pick up one chick in it, but never got laid.

Reply to
glasceus

Sorry bout that. I know Subies can be expensive to repair, but I live in a ski resort and practically every other car is a Subie, and most of the owners love them. I just sold a 90 to get a 97 and it sold in 2 days. The

97 I bought was in the paper 2 days, and the last one I saw in the paper went in two days. Put a Subaru in the paper here and it doesn't last very long -- 3 days tops. Outbacks are the most popular.

Today I nosed into parking space that most people wouldn't think of parking in, and when the front wheels dropped into a gap in the ice I though I was a gonner. But, the car easily pulled out with no problems -- not a slip or a spin. Would I rather have a Lexus? You bet. But like most of the people in this group I'm sold on the cars, and IMHO you have to be an idiot to buy a big SUV over a Subaru, unless you have like 10 kids. A lot more bang for the buck, especially if you buy a decent used one.

Maybe you got a lemon. It happens. So, let it go and get on with your life. We'll probably be seeing you in another group.

BTW, I never did like the Forester. Just don't like the looks of em.

Reply to
Sheldon

no, u wont see me on another board wondering around in circles trying to figure out how to prevent a car from going belly up. no no, i learnt my lesson, always visit a lot of internet message boards before u buy a car. i only started visiting boards after i bought the subaru and what kept me coming back was all horror stories i read about the forester and subarus. subaru is garbage. i feel bad for the new owners but such is life.

Reply to
glasceus

Hi,

A word of advice (about life as well as cars): happy owners don't normally post on NGs or message boards. IME the posts you'll see generally involve someone's problem that hasn't been solved elsewhere. AND, if you count the number of people complaining about a particular car, you'll find it's barely a handful compared to the number of cars sold.

I have a Subie, a Toyota Camry and an old '88 Toyota truck (also had an '86 that was stolen.) The Subie died last spring, and has been "resting" in the garage awaiting a decision on fixing/disposing/whatever. The Camry and truck are the "runners" at the moment. So at first glance it appears the Subie's junk.

Until we read the odometers. The truck has 69k miles, the Camry 234k, and the Subie? 360k, and the 150k of those I put on were the least costly of the three vehicles on a per mile basis (and will remain so even after I factor in a "new" engine--actually used/rebuilt--when I get the time to swap it out.) I doubt it would be dead today if the previous owner gave it even the most reasonable of maintenance--it lived down a long dirt road and apparently the guy just drove it until something quit, then "had Goober down ta the gas station patch it up." He certainly didn't spend any serious time or money on car washes or cleanliness, which tends to reflect on overall care in my mind.

As for maintenance woes, Subies are criticized for head gasket and oil seal issues. If one checks the Camry NG, it appears the V-6 engine (which I have) is noted for head gasket and oil seal issues. My truck has the 22R engine, which everyone's touted as bulletproof for the last

20 yrs. But many owners will tell you that around 70k miles, you'll need to replace oil seals and probably a headgasket.

My experience with these issues:

Subie--HG gone, recurring oil seal leaks Camry--no HG (yet?), recurring oil seal leaks Toy truck--('86) HG gone, approx 69k miles, recurring oil seal leaks Toy truck--('88) no HG (yet?), may be developing oil seal leak (mileage about right!)

What does this tell us? Depends on how one reads it. My take is all cars have their problems, and getting my advice from the guy who runs the automotive machine shop has been far more eye opening than what I've learned on the Net.

BTW, an aside on oil leaks: a lot of posters here find oil seal leaks around 60k-80k to be unacceptable. Perhaps they'd like to think that, but notice the "hi-mileage" oil and ATF ads that promise to help slow oil leaks, and you'll notice ONE recurring number: 75k miles! Guess what, boys and girls, that's about all the seals are good for these days (on average.) Doesn't matter what car you have, that's the same number my machine shop guy tosses about, and he sees this stuff every day...

So take life as you will, but plan on doing some maintenance on your car, regardless of what you drive! Good luck w/ your next one...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Isn't this the truth, I don't know who has a worse reputation for headgaskets, Toyota V6's or Subaru's. Unless you owned a Toyota V6 from the 90's you might not be aware of a MAJOR recall, to replace headgaskets on almost all the 3.0 V6 engines they sold, what a nightmare. I didn't find out about this until after I bought my

4runner, and the headgasket blew at 90K. It's a gamble no matter what, remember VW's waterboxer? holy cow, that had to be the worst headgasket problem in auto history, but I did put 212K on my Vanagon before I sold it, and it was still going strong. Just like a wife, you never know what your going to get until you make the purchase and drive it for awhile, sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you lose half of everything you own. I don't think it matters what brand you buy.
Reply to
jerryeveretts

I've been a regular at the Honda newsgroup and decided to visit your Subie group for the first time. I'm interested in the 06 2.5i Wagon and wanted to know what enthusiast were saying. I've noticed that this group seems to be a little more defensive when compared to the Honda group. And the trolls seem to be doing their homework (which makes them a little more creditable). Oh well, my search for a sporty hatchback continues.

Pars

jerryeveretts wrote:

Reply to
pars

my grandad once told me: a man who can take advice is sometimes smarter than the one who gives it" . my advice to u is to stay away from subaru. far far away from the garbage. i think the countless complaints speak for themselves.

Reply to
glasceus

Haven't you gone away yet?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I traded in a 97 Range Rover for my Subaru and consider that I upgraded. My Subaru is probably one of the best cars I have ever owned.

Reply to
Phil

Yes, your countless complaints speak for you. Go complain elsewhere.

Reply to
Remco

You are absolutly right, as a matter of fact, lets try to count the countless complaints. I have 85K on my car and it has needed... Oh NOTHING! Nevermind, I have no complaints. Oh wait, I almost forgot it needed a new brake caliper once, that cost me $44.00 at autozone. Maybe I should sell this hunk of crap, quick!

Reply to
jerryeveretts