98 Outback ABS activating on every stop

My 98 outback (104K miles) has just developed this interesting feature where it kicks in the antilocks every time I stop. Once the speed drops below about 10mph the brake pedal starts doing the abs pulsing thing. These are gentle stops on dry pavement so it is NOT a situation where the antilocks should be activated. It happened very consistently at every stop on the way to work tonight. So far no ABS light though...

Any thoughts as to why 10 mph should set off the antilocks on an otherwise normal(non-panic) stop?

Reply to
levi1998

Josh Assing

No, but I should think that Subaru would be very interested in looking at it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Reply to
Alan Ronemus

Are you sure it is the ABS system and not warped rotors causing the pedal to buck under your foot?

Reply to
Henry Paul

I have removed the ABS fuse and when the car stops it feels fine. By that I mean there is no indication of warped rotors. Feels like it always has.

What kind of PSI differences are we talking to make a diffence? I use a digital gauge so the pressures should be within 0.5psi worst case...

Seems a bit extreme to have to set tire pressures by wrapping a string around the tire. Anyone else found this extreme level of sensitivity?

thanks

Reply to
levi1998

For the tire pressure I run my tires a little higher. I like a firmer ride and a little better mpg so I run 45psi front/40 rear.

Reply to
Henry Paul