'99 auto trans problem

'99 SUS 2.5 4X4 My problem is when I put the car in "D" it takes 4 seconds for it to kick into gear, I'm so used to my other Subarus I step on the gas after about 2 seconds so when it does shift I get a BANG. What might cause this? (Will brake band adjustment cause this?) Another symptom is when I'm going down a hill at about 45 MPH and step on the brake to slow down the car shifts down WAY before either of my other Subs would. Thanks TG

Reply to
TG

Edward Hayes

This is just a wild-assed guess, but what about the throttle position sensor? I've had similar symptoms with an old ford tarus and a new sensor fixed it. Way cheaper than a transmission.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I checked the fluid thinking it may be low (just bought the car) and it was slightly overfull, I didn't remove any because I was hoping some one could tell me if that would cause this problem??? Thanks. TG

Reply to
TG

Transmission

Reply to
TG

Shouldn't cause the problem if we're only talking slightly overfull, say less than a quart. Sounds like the previous owner may have been trying to find the same problem. Does the fluid look clean and red or very brown or even black? Does it smell burnt or like fresh fluid? Low pump pressure could cause your symptoms.

Transmission

Reply to
Greg

Looks and smells fine, could use a bit of garlic though. I just need to get out the scan tool and then the gauges....I guess I really need to get a manual and learn how to work on the 4EAT. TG

Reply to
TG

Go to

They have a section on ATs. Subaru also has a manual covering transmissions for about 60 dollars. eddie

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Transmission

Reply to
George

Thanks all. I'll post the outcome. TG

Reply to
TG

I'd be very interested in knowing whether your tranny flush fix will last. I've got a '99 Legacy, bought it used about 4K miles ago, and am now having trouble with it slipping out of Drive. I just took it in and had a mechanic look at it, and they could find nothing, even though they've heard of other '99 and later Subaru trannies having similar trouble. The only one they've been able to fix was a reverse problem, and was fixed by retorqing the torque converter bolts. In my case, nothing was loose, and the fluid level is fine, if a little high.

Reply to
Tim

I've got the same problem as George (pervious posting) where my '99 Legacy sometimes slips out of Drive when I come to a stop. Several questions:

1) what do you think about the fluid flush - bandaid at best? 2) How do you tell which tranny you've got (VIN?) 3) TG, any results from your investigation?

I'd like to learn more about this thing before I have to either start getting towed home, or fork over big bucks to have the tranny rebuilt(which I'm not even sure will fix the problem for long!). Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Reply to
Tim

Could it be as simple as a shift lever adjustment? eddie

Reply to
Edward Hayes

No, I don't think so, since I've already had one transmission mechanic look at it, but I guess it's possible. Tonight it happened again, and this time, I was able to get it back into gear by shifting to park, shutting off the ignition, restarting, and selecting Drive. Simply shifting in/out of Park or 1st gear had no affect at all. It seems to be happening when I come to a stop after having driven for a bit - in other words, it's not related directly to moving the shift lever...it's actually falling out of gear. Makes me wonder if it's not related to something electrical.

Reply to
Tim

I wonder if the engine or transmission mounts could be loose or defective. Either can cause this type of problem. eddie

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Could be, I suppose, but that would almost indicate some form of mechanical linkage was getting tweaked when I come to a stop - is that what you're thinking? Anyway, worth checking. I'll take a look. FYI, I tried repeated hard stops to recreate the problem and so far have been unable to.

Reply to
Tim