99 Subaru Legacy Station Wagon Sunroof Seal Replacement

This one has me a bit torqued!! The seal on the rear of my sunroof is shot and the sunroof leaks pretty bad. I have to tape it up when it rains. The other 3 sides drain into the pan and drain out through the drain tubes (this works!). The rear if it leaks drains onto the sunscreen and then into the car. So this part of the seal must seal. Now this seal is removable but subaru in their infinite wisdom decided you must buy new glass to get a new seal to the tune of 6 or 7 hundred dollars. I can find them at junk yards (none local), but none of the salvage dealers will guarantee the seal. Grrrr.... Anyway, has anyone found a seal that would work as a replacement on Subaru's? I was thinking of making a trip to some local yards who have other cars with sunroofs to see if the seal is close. Maybe some of the seals from other Subaru's would fit.

Anyone ever replaced a seal and where did you get it from? Thnaks for the help.

Reply to
Ken

Seal is probably standard size among several auto makers. I'd go with the wrecking yard seal. Even if the first 2 or 3 turn out bad, you still are money ahead.

Reply to
johninky