Toyota Camry "01 sunroof

Someone told me on another thread that my SR may be leaking due to clogged drain tubes. I always wondered what those tubes were in my trunk.

So today I ran a snake up throught them and hooked them back up. I then tested them out pouring a cup of water in the SR channel. And they worked fine.

But I have to wonder how they'll work when I'm parked nose down on an incline, which I do for half the year...?

Design flaw ? or are there more tubes..? Tanks. C

"Who are you going to belive, me or your lying eyes." - Groucho Marx

Reply to
N O

The factory sunroof has 4 drain tubes. Besides the two in the rear that you found, there are 2 more in the front.

Reply to
Ray O

There are four - one at each corner. You may have found the rear set and missed the front set, or vice versa.

If you want to blow them out to see if they are clear, use LOW PRESSURE regulated air and a rubber-tipped blowgun - not more than 10 PSI for till you see if they are open or not. If they are partially restricted, I'd pour in some water and then blow it through with air. Be really careful about pushing any sort of wire through the hose.

The drains are un-reinforced hose, you can pop a hose inside the roof or the door pillars and then you have a much bigger problem.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thanks Ray . Where do they exit so that I can clean them out as well? I think one or more of those is blocked as it always leaks toward the front driver side floor only.

Reply to
N O

The front sunroof drains are in the front corners of the sunroof channels. With the sunroof open and looking through the top, you will see silver rails on the sides of the sunroof opening. The rails guide water to the front and rear drains. Look at the front corners for small round holes.

If the drains are blocked, water would probably leak through the sunshade opening and the headliner would be damp. Keep in mind that the hoses are just rubber or plastic tubes, so be careful when poking around so you don't disconnect the drain tube from the drain opening. In my experience, the drains rarely get clogged, unless you park with the sunroof open and leaves and debris get stuck in there. The drain tubes run down the A-pillars and exit under the car behind the front wheels.

I would also check to make sure that the drain tube for the AC condenser is not pulled out of the opening in the floor if you are finding that carpeting is damp. This happens fairly often when someone installs aftermarket accessories like audio systems, remote starters, security systems, etc when they route the wiring. To check the AC condenser drain tube, pull the front-top of the carpet back on the passenger side and look for a black tube. It should be pushed through a grommet in the floor board.

Reply to
Ray O

It's def. a rain issue and it gets wet at the A pillar and that corner of the SR and then, somehow ends up on the drivers floor. . So I guess we've narrowed it down to that tube anyway. Either a blockage or it's detached there?

I often see water on the ground after running AC, so I think that's ok.. C

" Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?" -Groucho Marx

Reply to
N O

By any chance, has the windshield ever been replaced?

If you do not have a side curtain airbag, you can carefully pop the A-pillar trim off and see if the tube is connected to the sunroof drain.

Reply to
Ray O