a different trip computer problem

The elapsed time function in my '06 Outback is screwy--or I'm not understanding how it's supposed to work. If I start the car then switch the trip computer to elapsed time, 100% of the time the display will be stuck on three horizontal dashes. If I simply leave the trip computer on elapsed time, occasionally, almost randomly, it will begin timekeeping when I start the car. I also tried turning the ignition to On, switching to elapsed time, then starting the car. That gives a somewhat higher percentage rate of success, but is hardly intuitive.

Hmm. Any ideas? Thanks.

-Brad

P.S. All the other functions work fine.

Reply to
Brad

Read the manual???

Reply to
oldslowbenter

I've noticed the same thing in my '06 3.0R Outback as well. Doesn't seem to be predictible, at random times it will just show --- until the next time I drive the vehicle.

I have read the owners manual and there isn't anything describing this situation (feature known as Journey Time).

Reply to
Lars

This afternoon I purchased a brand new '06 Outback sedan and here I am ALREADY online searching for answers to this vehicle's electronic woes.

My trip odometer also malfunctions as those described in this thread, with the added bonus that the MPG and AVG MPG readings either fluctuate wildly, or have no readings at all (three hortizontal dashes).

This very much sours the experience of the new vehicle purchasing experience (not to mention that I bought a Suabru based on reliability).

I will check back in with an answer when I phone my good friends at Exeter (New Hampshire) Subaru first thing in the morning to schedule a service appointment after barely 1/2 day of ownership.

What a pain in the balls.

Reply to
Tim

Sounds loke operator error to me! RTFM!

Tim wrote:

Reply to
Tony Burns (permanent dismisse

Amen!

Reply to
k. ote

Patience, there are two MPG functions, the first is instantaneous and varies between 4.0 and 99.9, yes wildly, depending on what the engine is doing. It also reads 3 dashes when the car is stationary.

The second MPG reading is an average from the last time you set the current trip odometer. (push and hold in for 5 seconds) but has the three dashes until you travel a bit more than a mile.

By leaving it in instantaneous and being very careful about avoiding low readings, you can get pretty good mileage.

Reply to
Bredehoft