AntiFreeze gel

Weird. Any chance Dexcool (deathcool) got mixed with the glycol based stuff? It will cause problems but I've only read about it - dunno what it looks like.

I'd get this investigated quickly.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I noticed that the top 1/4 th in the overflow cannister of the antifreez have "gellied"(sp) up. It is nearly colour less, and have no distinctive smell or feel...

I have gotten 2-3 different answers... What do you gays think?

Anything with the liquid coolant addative?

TIA. H.

Reply to
number 9

I second that. There is nothing that I can think of that would make the glycol itself become a crosslinked polymer symptomatic of a gel. Could be the additives oxidation products and/or metal complexes. Whatever happened, your antifreeze has degraded and should be replaced.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Did you just add the additive (the Subaru recommended one in the little blue bottle)?

When I did that after the recall first was done, a yellow-ish crust appeared on the walls of the overflow tank (the plastic translucent one).

It COULD be the coolant additive. After all, it is supposed to coat and soak into the gastkets.

At the time you added the additive, did you change the coolant?

Reply to
.._..