Any experience with TripleTreads and ice?

I'd love to put "one" set of tires on my Outback that I can use year round. I live at a ski resort and have to deal with icy roads about 6 months out of the year, and I'm wondering if the Goodyear TripleTreads will be good enough. Using Blizzaks right now.

Thanks.

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

Which Blizzak model?

The Tire Rack did a test of several tires at an ice rink. The Bridgestone RE960AS did pretty well compared to a Blizzak LM-25, but not as well as the Blizzak REVO 1. I suspect the real winter tire should do considerably better in the snow though.

So what's the problem? Do the real winter tires feel really squishy when it's dry?

Reply to
y_p_w

Hi Sheldon --

I'm with Goodyear -- please check out TireRack.com and look at the discussion boards there. We've seen many posts from Outback owners there about their experiences with Goodyear Assurance with TripleTred Technology. On a personal note, I live in Northeastern Ohio and have Assurance TT on my Honda Accord; my wife's Honda Element has the Fortera with TripleTred Technology. Both have behaved exceptionally well for us.

But, I encourage you to take a m> I'd love to put "one" set of tires on my Outback that I can use year round.

Reply to
seanwilliams58

Well, TripleTread can't compare to Blizzak which is a winter tire whereas TripleTread is all season. If you really care about winter driving. Keep the Blizzak. You might have to change your driving habit in winter if you switch to TripleTread. But as a thumb or rule, always drive slowly and cautiously even you got snow tires. Any tire will lost control on icy road. A winter tire just help you dig through heavy snow easier than other tires. More grip on snow in other words.

I have Hydroedge on my 03 Forester and they perform good. I recently put TripleTread on my other van and I can feel they glue to the ground. Good look also. Nice tire. But again won't match snow tire. I put all-season tire because I don't want the hassle of changing tire twice a year. These best all-season got me through winter no problem if I drive carefully.

Reply to
Ron

Generally it's supposed to be a softer rubber so that it remains pliable in cold climates, large tread blocks to dig through snow, and heavy siping to "bite" on ice and snow.

The one "all-season" tire that seems to get rave reviews is the Nokian WR. Nokian markets it as an all-season in North America, but it meets the RMA's "severe snow conditions" rating and has the "snowflake on a mountain" symbol. There are plenty of reports that they've lasted 50K miles. They're pricey and supposedly don't have the same feel as typical all-season performance tires, but they do seem to last longer than typical winter tires. I suppose there's no reason someone couldn't just use them as dedicated winter tires, with the benefit that they actually have a treadwear rating. The biggest drawback seems to be the rarity of Nokian Tire dealers in the US.

Reply to
y_p_w

How would you compare the Tripletread and Hydroedge?

Reply to
John Rethorst

Hey Sheldon,

I put a set of Triple Tread's on my Baja a few months ago, for year round driving. I live in a resort town in Utah, and can identify with your needs. The Triple Tread's are AWESOME. They are an infinite improvement over the stock potenza's. Oh my my god the potenza's sucked! I have felt very comfortable, in all conditions, rolling on the Triple Tread's. They've been excellent on ice, in snow, changing lanes on the highway across big slush piles, power slides in the Deer Valley parking lots, everything.

But, seriously, the Triple Tread's are and excellent tire for reasonable driving during icy/snowy conditions, and a stellar tire for all other conditions.

I love the Triple Tread's. I'm so happy I spent the money on them.

Good luck.

I've got Triple Tread's on my Baja and Hydroedge's on my wife's Altima. They are both excellent tires, but the tread pattern on the Hydroedge seems more suited to non-winter conditions. I can't give a true apples to apples comparison as I put dedicated snow's on my wife's car, but I think the Triple Tread accels in being more versatile in terms of inclement weather.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Rethorst

The Hydroedge are good tires. They are more expensive but last longer. However, I feel like the TripleTread are better set. Not sure if they are new or not. I can feel it has more grip than the old Hydroedge. I love the tire pattern too. They are aggressive. TripleTread has less mileage rating but cheaper. I think I'll get a set of that on my Forester later also.

Reply to
Nick

Maybe it's probably just my own tastes, but I probably wouldn't be inclined towards something like the HydroEdge or the TripleTred (note the spelling). Even for a family station wagon, I would tend towards a tire in a higher performance category, like the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S or the Bridgestone Potenza G009. I'm quite happy with the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS for my WRX.

I would probably trade off some treadwear with a better temperature rating and dry handling.

Reply to
y_p_w

I think that the Assuarance TripleTred and the Hydroedge are actually about the same price, and they both have 80,000 mile warranty.

A lot of people would probably do the same, but the OP was asking about the TripleTred (spelling noted) and ICE.

I know. Just expanding the discussion. I don't know how well the TripleTred does on ice, but I suspect it's nowhere near the level of whatever Blizzak tire the OP was using. Tire Rack performed a test of several Bridgestone tires on ice, and here are the results. There's a lot more to winter conditions than just ice, but it's still interesting.

And expanding the discussion even further......

I like reading Tire Rack user reviews, but their number rating system is a joke because there's really no common point of comparison. How the heck does the TripleTred get an average 9.3 dry traction rating, which is higher than the 9.2 for the Bridgestone Potenza S-02.

Reply to
y_p_w

There is a tire review in the November 2006 issue of consumer reports. I haven't read it, but someone in this or another forum mentioned it. I think TripleTreds might be in there.

Reply to
Rebecca B.

I've read the center section of rubber on the TT (note abbreviation ) is pumice impregnated rubber. Still, ice is ice. If you encouter it VERY often, get some spike spyders

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Yeah, I like reading the reviews on Tire Rack too. I found them very helpful in making the decision to buy the TT's. I can't emphasize enough how awesome these tires are...really. They are just phenomenal tires in all conditions. It amazes me how well they grab on ice. They are just a night and day difference when compared to the stock potenza's.

It seems to me that on our Subaru's, we shouldn't really need a dedicated snow (Blizzak), unless we are dealing with poor road maintenance/heavy snow, or unless it's our wife's/girlfriend's car. With the TT's, I think that the idea of a dedicated snow is uneccessary.

However - I don't think there's any one tire out there that's going to meet everyone's needs, even among the Subaru crowd. The boy racer WRXs and the newer high-powered turbo models will call for at least V speed rated rubber unless it's a dedicated winter tire. Certainly some people like the ridiculous treadwear from the TripleTreds, but I'd be put off by the H speed-rating and B temperature rating.

Personally - I rather like to get 30-40K miles out of my tires, and try the latest tires when they comes out in a few years.

So - I'm going to be taking my WRX with the Potenza RE960AS Pole Position to the Sierras next week. I'll give a report on how they do in the snow and ice when I get back.

Reply to
y_p_w

I think you shouln't compare between groups: what is group traction for an owner of tripletreds is a joke for a guy who owns ContiExtremes. Look for charts per group. Though there is room for cheating there also: RE950 is artificially placed in HP A/S category while ContiExtremes are in UHP and were run against S.4s and RE960A/S in a recent comparo. Looks like I'll have to shell my $$$ out to Bridgerock company since

960s seem to outperform anything else and are close to the perf of performance winters on ice :-((((

Body Roll

I guess part of the problem is the artificial performance categories. The TripleTreds are only in the T and H speed rated categories depending on size. The "performance" tires are often start at an H speed-rating up to V/Z/W speed-ratings for larger sizes. There's a slight amount of overlap where the TripleTred might come in the same speed-rating as "high performance" radials of the same size.

I'm not really trying to sell anyone on a particular tire. I'm just saying there are options out there. I hear all these glowing reviews of the TripleTred, which seem like over the top praise for a high-end family car radial. I've seen Michelin Pilot A/S on Outbacks, so some are willing to try something on the pricey side. For some people, the TripleTred may be the best tire they've ever tried. For others, it might be a significant step down from the sticky mega-buck low-profile summer tires they've used on sports cars/sedans.

I've also noticed the trend that the review numbers tend to go down as more owners of the tire have lived with them and given their input. I recall the reviews of the Conti ExtremeContact were absolutely glowing for a year after they came out, but the ratings started to fall as more owners wrote reviews. I was originally sold on the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S, but have been disappointed after the inner shoulders wore down prematurely. It was a great tire in the dry and wet, but I didn't think it was that capable a snow tire. It's probably the least siped all-season tire I've ever seen.

I still haven't gotten down to trying out the RE960AS in the snow. I was going to head for the Sierras today, but a cold has forced me to stay home until I feel better.

Reply to
y_p_w