Anybody try those Goodyear TripleTreds in the winter?

I just got an Outback ('97) with Michelin studdless winter tires on it (just picked up the car - second Subaru). I live at a ski resort and I've had great luck with Blizzaks. The Michelins are good, but I'm not sure if I don't think they're as good at the Blizzaks because the Outback is so much heavier than my Loyale. (The Loyale is much more fun to drive.)

Anyway, I'd love to put "one" set of tires on for everything, and I live at a ski resort with plenty of ice and snow. Has anybody tried those Goodyear TripleTreds on their Subi in ice and snow. They get good write-ups, and the specs on ice seem about as good at studdless tires.

Any and all thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

I have had the triple treads on my 04 forester for over 20,000 km (14months). I have had the car up at Mt Washington (Vancouver Island) where they often have a "All vehicles must mount chains" flasher during severe weather. While these are not snow and ice tires, they perform very very well. During a coastal snowfall last winter when I first got them I went out to look for the most challenging hills in my hometown (Nanaimo, British Columbia). There are steep hill here! The plows had not been out and I was able to calmly drive the vehicle anywhere I tried. The biggest difference is in side ways grip. I think genuine studless type modern snow tires have an advantage there. I haven't driven them on snow packed highways at higher speeds yet. In my opinion these are the best all around tire I have ever used. Wet pavement grip is like no tire I have ever driven. We also have a

90 Legacy with studless snowies on it (Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice). and in my opinion they are no better than then Triple treads except for side traction and probably pure glazed ice.

Reply to
Grolch

I put Comfortreads on my OBW at the end of December. While not generally considered as good in snow as the triples, I can say firsthand that even these are extremely reliable in ice/snow.

Reply to
BobN

Well, Subies will "go" with just about any kind of tire. What about stopping in ice and snow?

Reply to
Sheldon

I just put Tripletreds on my '03 Baja. I got them just in time for the recent 12"+ snow here in the Philly area. I live in a hilly town and work in a hilly town 30 miles away. I have to say these Tripletreds are pretty awesome. True, Subies do go with just about any kind of tires but when I first got out for a drive that snowy morning I really put the tires through their paces - I was impressed with the ability to accelerate from a dead stop and the ability to stop on snowy roads.

I'd say while they do cost a little bit more, these Tripletreds will still be a great deal if they hold up in terms of performance and lst anywhere near the 80,000 advertised. Plus, Goodyear also throws in roadside assistance and some other perks.

I'm diggin' my Tripletreds and hoping for more heavy snow. :o)

Reply to
phillystyle

I recently purchased Tripletreds for my 2000 Forester, and really like them, so far. While I live in the Denver area, we haven't had any good snow since I got them, so I can't attest to their capability in snow/ice. The only drawback I've found so far is that I seem to be getting about 1 - 2 mpg less fuel economy on average. It could be though that I haven't found the "optimum" tire pressures to use for these tires yet (anybody have a suggestion?).

Paul

Reply to
ruzicka

The 1-2 mpg less mileage is more likely due to different circumference reather than actual mpg. I've had the TT's for over a year now on my 04 Forester. IMO, the best all around tire I have driven yet.

Reply to
Grolch

Reply to
ruzicka4613

Reply to
Grolch

Well, I lowered the pressure from what Discount Tire put in (they always seem to go to the max allowed pressure), and got back at least

1 mpg. I'll play with the pressure a bit more and see if I can do any better.

Grolch wrote:

Reply to
ruzicka4613

There are good reviews at

The fuel consumption issue seems to be there.

Good luck

Sheld> I just got an Outback ('97) with Michelin studdless winter tires on it (just

Reply to
AS