Any fans of *old* Subies left anywhere?

I still see early 80's Subies from time to time, but I've only seen one post here about an old Subie (pushrod). Are all the fans of old Subies gone?

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

Nah,we're still lurking, just that our vehicles still being mostly mechanical not electrical, have far fewer nuiscance troubles than the newbies. He-He!!! My old GL wagon just keeps a leakin oil and running like a top. Will need a new clutch mebbe next spring, but gonna leave that job to a guy that has all the needed equipment and doesn't have to work in a snowbank. ;) Oh, I might have to have the rims sandblasted and repainted, seem to have a slow leak I can't track down any other source for. Such troubles for a 20 year old car. Life is tough.

mark

Reply to
pheasant

Lurking. Wondering where all the magic went in the midst of, "Help: My WRX's auto-trunk lid switch makes the radio mute" or what's it. My '85 GL is still running strong, although I hear the throwout bearing now... DOH!

How much trouble to swap a clutch in one of these things? I'm imaginging the tranny's not too heavy even if it's 4WD.

I figure after the body finishes rotting out, I'll either make a go-kart with it, or convert the engine for aircraft use (I'm also a pilot).

JazzMan wrote: : I still see early 80's Subies from time to time, but I've : only seen one post here about an old Subie (pushrod). Are : all the fans of old Subies gone?

: JazzMan : -- : ********************************************************** : Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net. : Curse those darned bulk e-mailers! : ********************************************************** : "Rats and roaches live by competition under the laws of : supply and demand. It is the privilege of human beings to : live under the laws of justice and mercy." - Wendell Berry : **********************************************************

Reply to
papenfussDIESPAM

Does the word YAMA-YAGI? Tickle you????????

does me :)

Reply to
CEG

I'm a fan, but I don't have access to anything that old. If I didn't live in the rust belt I might consider getting an old BRAT to drive around in the sunny months, but all the ones for sale around here are rusted to bits. :)

I do love my '95 though, which as of this month (October) is 10 years old.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

No Way! What could be finer than embarrassing the jeep crowd by showing up at the end of the trail in a beat-up old GL wagon? I took mine all over the SanJuans this summer with a 16.5 ft canoe strapped to the top. Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Stony Pass, lotsa miles on back country gravel roads chasin' trout. The Ms. and I took it over Black Bear Pass a few years back, just 'cause someone told me it wouldn't make it. It acquired a few new "battle scars" to the underside in the process, but it made Telluride just fine, thanx. Just _try_ that in your new Outback!

ByeBye! S.

There are heaps here in Australia. The pushrod models have gained a lot of respect for their reliability and ability off road. I have owned more than

30 of the buggers. Currently I've got an '88 Brumby (Brat in U.S. speak)
Reply to
Grumby

Clutch is pretty easy project. I've done both mid 80's with and w/o 4WD.

4WD trany is definitely heavier, but both are do-able without a trany-jack.

-pete

Reply to
Pete Grey

Speaking of Oz, I saw a maybe '74 GFT 1400 coupe a few months ago - still going - still lime green

Reply to
hippo

I wonder if anyone has considered dropping the STI drivetrain into an old GL, it'd make a heck of a sleeper. :)

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

I've considered that actually. Not that I have the skill or the tools and parts to do such a conversion, but I've long had aspirations of modified old Subarus. Mostly the BRAT and the elusive Subaru convertibles, but any old model interests me. Because of the rust problem inherent in many old Japanese cars, old Subarus are all but extinct around here. Occasionally I'll see a low-mileage GL wagon tooling around town, but it's been months since I've seen a BRAT, even longer since I've seen a DL.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Here in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho there are about 3 Brats that I regularly see around town. One looks like it was born yesterday. This is an interesting area from that standpoint. Every year we have a Car d'Alene Tour where they close the downtown streets in a 1 mile by 2 block area and up to 800 "classics" go round and round. There are a surprising number of early American cars of either "hot rod" status or just plain ole "restored" status.

Reply to
Don.

I,ve got a subaru sumo micro van, 1992 fwd, its great fun and very practical.

Reply to
paul