Are WRX model year differences significant?

I'm going to buy a WRX soon, either a low mileage used 2022, 2003,

2004 or a new 2004.

Are there *significant* differences between these model years (including reliability), or can I just concentrate on best combination of price and mileage?

(If you want to reply by e-mail, remove occurences of "out" in my address)

Reply to
outteekay

Early 2002's had some minor issues with the clutch (early ones have a black cover on the coolant tank, while newer ones are silver) - other than that, there really aren't any functional differences between 2002 and 2003. For

2004, there was a facelift, and the shocks were revalved (though car mag reviews have mentioned there was no discernable difference in performance, the new ones felt a little better, for whatever that's worth)
Reply to
David & Caroline

I think the minor issue with the clutch was the infamous "clutch shudder". It's one of those things where it's noticable more often when the clutch is cold and you can get it fixed through waranty, if it's enough of a problem. I had a very minor problem with it and got it fixed (free clutch at 8000 miles). I got lucky because some people experience worse shudder with the replacement. I did not. For the first week that sucker grabbed a bit earlier than I was used to, but now that I've adjusted I really like it.

I think a more severe problem (although I don't know of it happening to anyone I know) is the second gear problem in the '02's. I understand they were more prone to breaking, although under what situations, I don't know. They changed the gear in the '03's, I believe. There was a big arguement over whether or not it was changed or if it mattered, but apparently the

03's had a different part number for 2nd gear indicating they had been changed.

Remember buying used that the first 1000 miles can be pretty important and you don't know how (or if) the car was broken-in. Buying used will save you the money now, but may (not for sure, at all) cause you more problems in the future.

But then again I'm not a fan of the '04 face/tail-lift so I'd suggest seeing if the dealer still has any new '03's on the lot :)

Orion

A significant but not well publicized benefit of the '04's is brake force distribution.

Reply to
CW

Don't forget the seats!

Reply to
John

the "goodness" of the new seats is subjective - sure, the new ones look nice, but compared to the lateral support offered by the 02/03 seats, I think the 04 seats suck (you slide all around in them, whereas the 02/03's keep you in place).

Reply to
David & Caroline

I completely disagree on this one. I love those bucket seats and although I've never sat in a 02 or 03, I've never slid around. You'll probably slide around if your rail thin...

-Ta>

Reply to
Taino

Center tach!!!

from edmunds.com

What's New for 2004 For 2004, all Imprezas sport revised front and rear fascias -- gone are the oddball circular headlamps in favor of a more mainstream wedge-shaped design. In addition, all models get upgraded suspension struts (to improve ride quality and steering response), Electronic Brakeforce Distribution, a collapsible pedal system, revised gauges and a new stereo faceplate. The WRX and Outback Sport receive projector beam foglights. Inside, WRX models have new sport seats, a central tachometer and darker gray faux metal accents. The TS wagon, Outback Sport and RS sedan add an in-glass antenna, active front head restraints, central power door lock switch and multireflector halogen headlights. Further, the TS now has four-wheel disc brakes. The RS sedan's keyless entry system now has an audible confirmation feature, and keyless entry is now standard on the TS. Finally, the WRX sedan is now available with a Premium Package that includes a sunroof, trunk spoiler, heated mirrors, heated front seats and a wiper de-icer.

Reply to
Jon