Auto Transmission Fluid

I just paid a transmission mechanic a small fortune to rebuild the Rodeo tranny my wife destroyed, and I got to talking to the guy who runs this well-regarded trans shop, about my Outback. I told him about flushing it myself, and that I planned to do it again this spring. He recommended that I get Subaru trans fluid, don't use regular stuff. Never heard of such a thing. He also gave me a bottle of additive that he almost guaranteed would make a difference with shifting. We'll see about that.

What fluid and additives do you guys recommend?

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

I use Pennzoil ATF Dex 3 in my 4eat (2000 Forester) and have for the last 111,000 miles but maybe Subaru has a better fluid. Why not run to your dealers shop and see what they use.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Check your owners manual. Anything that meets the DEXRON spec in the manual will work, and I have found that using the Lubegard ATF Protectant additive helps to prevent excessive heat-buildup in my auto subaru's. I've used Mobil, Quaker State, Valvoline and store-branded ATF with the same additive and identical results.

200,000 miles on original transmission says a little something...
Reply to
Huffer

Well, they're 45 miles away, and I don't get down there often. I will definitely contact them before I flush again.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO