Been thinkin of a Subaru

I have a new 06 Toyata MAtrix with Front wheel drive, I purchased the car last sept, and I am not crazy with the traction in the snow here in the Northeast. never looked at a Subaru yet, but what model station wagon has the most room and gets the best fuel mileage, I am getting 35 over the road and 28-30 in the city, this is with a 1.8 motor in the Matrix, how much can I get with a 4 cly Subaru station wagon, which model would be the most reasonable and has the most room in the back with the eats down, the Forreater, Outback ect.

thanks Chet

Reply to
chet

I get about 5 mpg less on my '03 Forester. I live on a hill and it is small price to pay for AWD. Larger Outbacks have more room but Forester is perfect for me. Get yourself to a dealer and start looking.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

I have a 2000 Forester. It had more ground clearance than the Ford Explorer, and more room for 'stuff' than my 1995 Grand Cherokee (the full size spare tire made it a no contest, but even with the tire left at home if was better). We have about 98000 miles on it now. Other than regular maintenance it has needed nothing. By the way Subaru includes mats and splash protectors etc -- Honda and Toyota nickle and dime you on that stuff. I fully expect to trade it in for a newer Forester when it gets to be time!

Mileage is as Frank says - if you need 4WD it is an excellent vehicle.

Reply to
sapper

I am in my 2nd subaru legacy outback sw and I would think twice about buying a new one.

The 2003 i currently have has 60K miles on it and has: Engine piston slap (common issue) Transmission slippage (common issue according to the mechanic at the local dealer). Steering pump/rack noises when backing up and turning at creeping speed.

22 miles per gallon combined highway/city driving. Wind noise in the drivers window (same as previous subaru and a common issue) Torn inner front axle boot because subaru put one catalytic converter too close to it. Defective a/c hose from the compressor to the condenser (seems to be a common issue)

This vehicle has not been abused.

Good luck!

chet wrote:

Reply to
AS

The Legacy and Outback wagons have a longer cargo bed with the seats up or down, but the Forester has the same or greater cargo volume due to its greater height.

I've had both a Legacy wagon and an Outback, and recently purchased a Forester. All good cars and great in the snow. I'm in upstate NY, north of Albany.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Put on a set of dedicated snows, and save yourself a ton of money. I own a Subie, which I like, but you prolly got marginally better build quality and component quality.

Reply to
Bob H