Beep after driving a while, display of outside temp

I have a 2007 Legacy GT 2.5 Sedan, and, have been noticing that, after I first start the car and begin driving there will be a "beep", and the odometer display briefly flashes the outside temp, then returns to the odometer display.

I don't know if this is after a timeout, certain number of miles driven, certain temp or what. I usually notice it only after the first time I drive the car (don't recall it happening, say if I drove from home to a store, on the way back from the store).

Anyone know why this is happening, and...how to turn it off?

Thanks.

Reply to
Bill Bradley

Could it be this? From the owner's manual (didn't see an indication on how to turn it off):

When the outside temperature is 378F (38C) or lower, the display flashes ³OUT TEMP 378F (38C)² for 3 seconds and gives a notice to the driver that the road surface may be frozen. After 3 seconds, it returns to its original indication of the outside temperature and journey time.

If the outside temperature drops to 378F (38C) or lower while the display is giving an indication other than the outside temperature, the display shows ³OUT TEMP 378F (38C)² for 3 seconds before returning to its original indication.

If the display is already indicating an outside temperature of 378F (38C) or lower when the ignition switch is turned to the ³ON² position, the display does not shows ³OUT TEMP 378F (38C)².

Reply to
Steve Jones

I guess now we know where NASA engineers go when they get laid off.

Reply to
Ray

That's probably it. Must've missed it in my manual. I SWEAR it did it this summer, too, but, might be wrong...

Reply to
Bill Bradley

Reply to
Bill Bradley

Explain the figures because to me 378F is enough to roast anything outside the car :) (around 200C). 37.8F sounds more logical ...being 3.2C.

James

Reply to
James

heh. Looks like my copy/paste from the manual converted the degree symbol to an 8.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Jones

Three hundred seventy-eight degrees Fahrenheit does not equal thirty-eight degrees Celsius does not equal freezing temperatures does not equal good sense. Is this a weird piece of Japlish??

Jim Bartley on PEI--like I had on my 1973 Mazda Rotary RX-3.

37.8 F is pretty close to 3.8 C, actually 3.22222
Reply to
George Mills